Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breastfeeding at one

I am really proud to have got to the one year mark with feeding marcus but i was wondering from other mummies who have got to this point how often do your lo ones feed?

At the mo he is having a feed on waking in the morning whatever time that is and one at night. Up till this last week he has also had one in the middle of the day or expressed milk at nursery on the days I work. I am trying to reduce the daytime one so its just first thing and last thing at night with maybe some cows milk in a beaker during the day as the expressing is just getting harder to do at work. But i was just wanting to see what other people do and is it selfish to stop expressing durng the day and give him cows milk?

Thanks in advnce guys for your support

jillycat x

Replies

• hi and well done for getting to a year.
    I dont think that its selfish at all giving him cows milk in the day. he is a year old now so its absolutely fine.
    Freya is 10 months and i feed her morning afternoon and night and a couple of times in the night grrr. i think that i wi8ll jsut she what she wants when the time comes and follow her lead. i dont express any more, she wont take a bottle any way and wont drink milk from her cup so there is no point if im not there then she doesnt get. xx
  • It is a fanatstic feeling isnt it. Well done to you. And as for how often does a 12 monther feed?? Each baby is different. My 13 months feeds LOADS still and my 3rd was fed until he was 25 months and he fed loads also unitl then
  • Well done for getting to a year! I agree with katybee, the amount they feed depends on the child. Alice fed till she was 22 months and after a year she fed morning and before bed, then at 18 months it was just bed time, I thought Isaac would be the same but by 13 months he was down to just bedtime and at 15 months he decided he no longer needed me so gave up. Carry on and do whatever you feel is right for you. x
  • congratulations! i also agree that u should just go with his lead.Grace is 8 mths and only feeds mrning and before bed because thats all she wants but i do make sure she gets calcium in her diet and cows milk on brekkie.I dnt think ur selfish at all cows milk is very good for him and he will still be getting your milk mrning and night xxx
  • Congratulations for getting to a year!

All lo's can have cows milk as a drink from a year so it will be fine! It's not selfish at all.

Lisa
  • Well done to you for getting to a year! I agree that each baby is different, My 22 month old still feeds several times each day but that it is just easier for me.I stopped expressing at about 14 months old and giving your lo cows milk when you are not around is absolutely fine and nobody can call you selfish after bf for that long!! xx
  • Thanks for all your responses.

I think I will still try to reduce the daytime one. The thing is sometimes he wants it and other days he isn't bothered. I may make this the last week of regularly expressing at work and ask them at nursery to give him cows milk with his snack time and to try a beaker first but if he wont to give him it in a bottle.

Jillycat x