Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Demand or routine ????

Hiya
This is my 5th baby but only 3rd I bf. Amelia is 3 months and has only had one oz of formula when I was been scanned for DVT a few days after her birth and she was on ward screaming in down!!!!

I have never managed a routine like Gina Ford etc... and bf as and when. I do try but if she is hungry in betwen what do you do??? leave her cry? give water? She still wakes at about 2 and 5 which is a pain as the little 2 get up about 6 so it means my day can start at 5! With 2 teenagers too I dont always get to bed early as that is the time to chat and catch up with them.

How are you all feeding and if you are in routine how?

Thanks
d xxx

Replies

• Options
    I reckon demand is the way forward, because only she knows how hungry (or not) she is. I've never really understood why the Gina Fords of this world can generalise about how much/how often each baby 'should' be fed. We all know every baby is unique! So I say feed on demand because Amelia is the real expert at what she needs! Good luck.

[Modified by: Star Gazer on May 31, 2008 08:20 AM]
  • Options
    When Millie was about that age I started gradually introducing a bit of a routine. If she was hungry and asking for food I used to feed her but I also used to offer her a feed every three hours in the day wether she was asking for it or not. Gradually she got used to being fed every three hours, although if she was having a growth spurt, or unwell she used to go back to feeding more often. At the end of the day, the more milk you can get into her during the day the longer she is likely to sleep at night without needing a feed, which has to be a good thing!
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    Sam is 6 months and I have gone with demand. He is very happy and content - but still not sleeping through.
    It has been the easiest thing for me too. Good Luck
  • Options
    Routine? What's a rountine? The only routine I have with Lucas is he cries, i feed and change, he cries i feed and change! lo! Usually several 100 times a day! He feeds every hour or so during day but goes 12 hours at night (thank goodness).
  • Options
    on demand ...better for a happy baby.
    I have never put any routine on any of mine. On my third now and she sleeps for 8 hours straight every night ( only 9 weeks old) .
    She feeds about every 2 hours during the day (sometimes longer is we are out and about) and fits in with my routine....I manage to go out and see friends, shopping etc and do the school run every day.
    I think the trick is not to get too stressed about it.

Amanda
    xxx
  • Options
    Hiya i fed on demand and ok its like every 2 hours for the start but it does get better and your lo probably wont sleep all night for awhile as bf babies like the boob lol - Lewis was about 6 or 7 month before he slept all night, but he turned 1 last Monday and he still wakens up looking for a feed, more for confort i think - i was intending stopping when he turned 1 but he has other ideas lol!

but Lewis did go through a phase of sleeping for about 14 hours straight it was magic and i was right cocky about it, then he got me back with evengence lol