Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Infected boob !! :\(

I have been breastfeeding my lo for 25 weeks today!! Im really happy breastfeeding and never want to give up! My aim is to let my lo wean himself off. So far I have had no problems with breastfeeding and it seems that we were made to breastfeed. Unfortunatly my lo is teething at the moment and a week or so ago when he was feeding he bit down on my left boob and pulled back away from me. This meant that he broke his latch while clamping down real hard on my boob. I noticed that he had damaged what I think is a gland type thing right next to my nipple. It keeps swelling up then going back down. Im so embarrased about it cause it looks like I have 2 nipples!! Tonight It was so much more painful so I put some cream on it. When I went to feed my lo I noticed it was weaping with puss!! I tried to drain it as much as possible and managed (just!) to feed my lo off that side. It now seems much smaller but is still red and sore. Should I go to the docs tomorrow to see if it is infected or wait till monday and see if it will clear up on its own? Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

Emma x

Replies

• Hi Emma, sounds nasty!

I haven't had anything like this, but my lo is certainly a bit 'toothy' sometimes lol! She goes to sleep on the breast and then bites down! Ow v. painful!

I would say see how it feels tomorrow morning - if it's gone really nasty overnight then ring/see a doctor. We all know you can't get in to see a doc at the weekend - never mind! Otherwise, personally I would pron just leave it to get better on it's own. All sounds a bit obvious really - sorry!

tbh, I find these things usually heal by themselves - dab it with antiseptic and maybe pop some savlon on.

I think you'll be ok as you did manage to feed lo ok.

Hope it feels better soon!

xxx

• Thanks for your reply. It seems better today and not as painful to feed my lo on so Im not going to go to the doc. I know there will be nothing they can do anyway. Its still weeping a bit but not too much.
  • If it was me, I would go to the docs, particularly if I seen puss.

Keep an eye on how well you feel, and if you feel unwell at any point, go to the docs.

Susan
  • If it was me, I would go to the docs, particularly if I seen puss.

Keep an eye on how well you feel and if you feel unwell at any point, go to the docs.

Susan