Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Expressing

Hi all

My lo is 8 days old and whilst I was in hospital had to express my colostrum into a syringe and feed her like that (very sleepy child who wasn't responsive due to low temperature - needed to get fluid into her, and only way we could). On going home I was shown briefly how to bf her, but was advised by the midwife to express into a bottle the first day I was home until she became more alert. When she was 4 days old I put her back onto the breast and she seemed to be bf fine. However that evening she screamed from 10pm till 3:30am. Nothing seemed to settle her. I know that bf babies can be demanding and can require feeding every hour which I'm prepared to do, but 5hrs on the breast was ridiculous. In the end, I expressed some milk off and gave her that which seemed to settle her. It wasn't until we saw the midwife again on day 6 that we realised that she hadn't been latched on properly and therefore wasn't getting any milk from me. The midwife said her tongue automatically falls to the roof of her mouth making it difficult for her to latch on and suck. Since the evening where she wouldn't stop crying I have been expressing but not sure if I am feeding her too often or too much. At the moment I am expressing from alternate breast every 2 hours so I keep producing enough milk (hope to put her back on the breast eventually). If she hasn't woken by the time 4 - 4.5hrs have passed since her last feed I wake her and feed her 3oz of expressed milk which she generallly takes all of.

Does this sound the right amount?

Also I would love to be able to put her back on my breast to feed. The midwife also said I have large nipples and she only has small features so that is making it more difficult for her too. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any support groups I can visit where they spend time showing you how to make sure your baby is latched on properly and taking milk. I feel quite nervous about putting her back on my breast as I feel so guilty for starving her that day. How do I know she is sucking properly and getting fed?

Sorry for the ramble. Any advice much appreciated.

Danielle

Replies

• hi there,congratulations on ur baby and for wanting to bf.I'm not an expert so not sure i can help much,my daughter is nearly 10 weeks and is feeding well but we have had times when she has fed consantly for 4 hrs in an evening!especially when she was v young and when she has growth spurts.I think u r doing the right thing expressing v often to get your milk supply up,i'm not sure on how long shes going between feeds as my lo has never gone that long but she may still be sleepy from the birth and u may find she'l feed more often soon.3oz sounds good to me.Do u have the number for mum 2 mum??they are really good and u can ring to speak to someone at any time of the day,also if you need somebody will come out to you.Your midwife should be doing all this though,are you still seeing her every day?she should be helping you latch her on,id stick with it and keep trying,if shes having trouble latching to you have you thought about trying nipple sheilds?they are supposed to help apparently.Hope iv been of some help to you, hanna n baby grace xxx
  • Hi firstly I would say that you need to find a breastfeeding counsellor as most midwives and health visitors have limited breastfeeding knowledge and experience and you need extra help at the moment. Ask your midwife if there is anyone at the hospital or try either the NCT or La Leche League who are both really helpful.
    How are you giving your lo the expressed milk? I don't want to be pessimistic but if it is in a bottle with a teat she will find it a lot easier than getting it from you which is harder work so may be why she is not as happy to breastfeed. It will then be really hard work for you to continue to express enough long term to give her the amount she needs and although not impossible obviously it would be a lot easier and practical to breastfeed. I had to top up my babies with ebm initially due to a low milk supply and spoonfed my 1st (long slow process!) then cup fed the other 2 (even newborns can drink surprisingly well from a beaker after a bit of practice!).
    You will know if she has had enough milk if she is settled between feeds, gaining weight and doing plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
    Women with all different sizes and shapes of breasts and nipples breastfeed successfully and you can too! You can get back to normal feeding but you need someone who can watch, support and help you. x