Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sore breast??

Im bf my 7 week old baby. Have fed before and not really had too many probs but ive got a really sore breast today. Its round the bottom and its a bit red. I remember getting little red bits before that i would just massage when feeding or in the bath and they would be fine.

Ive tried to massage in the bath incase it is a blocked bit and it seemed to help a bit. Ive fed and expressed on that side today as well but tonight when i was feeding it was really painful. Its not the nipple thats sore it was as if the inside was sore as he was sucking and i feel a bit queazy.

Does this sound like an infection or is it just a blocked duct??

Any advice??

Gemm x

Replies

• Hi there

It sounds like it could be the onset of mastitis - you should call or visit your GP ASAP in case it gets worse. I had it the other week, felt like someone had punched me in the boob and it had a red mark on it and felt lumpy. Then that night I felt woozy and cold then hot and my temperature was slightly raised the next morning so called the docs and he did me a prescription for antibiotics and it cleared up straightaway. In the meantime, empty the breast as much as you can, carry on massaging it and also try a hot compress. Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra is also recommended. Oh, and drink plenty of fluids too.
    Hope it goes soon!
    xx
  • I never had this myself, but my friend who had a baby only 2 weeks ago had this, and was feeling flu like and her temp was creeping up. The midwife came round and told her it wasn't mastitis but could easily develop into it. If you haven't been checked already then please do so as soon as you can just in case. Keep feeding tho, as otherwise it may make the pain worse and the onset of mastitis more likely (this is what the midwife told my friend anyway). Hope you are ok x
  • Thanks. Im feeling not bad, my breasts are def not as sore but im still feeling a bit flu like. If i feel worse, or if my boobs get sore i will def get to the docs.

Thanks for the advice

Gemm x
  • I have this, My baby is less then 2 weeks old, I woke up yesterday feeling like i had full on flu. I used cabbage leaves, and hot flannels, and carried on feeding, its much better today, but now have red marks on my right breast. I am heading to doctors tomorrow just to be on the safe side.