Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

explaining BF to a toddler

hi everybody, well I'm almost 34weeks pregnant, and Evie is 2 1/2.

I plan to breastfeed my son when he's born. Evie's never been exposed to BF before simply because we don't have any friends/family with LO's or who have bf.

It's possibly really stupid that I'm concerned about this, so sorry if I sound rediculous. I'm going to at some point have to mention that new baby will feed from me, just so she's not shocked when theres a newborn suckling on me! and am dreading this. I know I will feel awkward even despite how young she is.

Obviously kids at this age are very accepting of everything so I know she will just take it in, but I also worry she'll be over curious/fascinated by this. I can totaly imagine her telling people on the bus "my little brother is going to have milk from mammys boobies" I mean, how mortified would I be! lol. As well as this I'm a bit nervous about once DS is here and actually feeding, I imagine Evie will be forever prodding and poking at me and being generally overly curious about my boobs.

Does anybody have any tips or stories to share to make me feel less weird about it all?

xx

Replies

• Hi

Spencer was 29mths when Eddison arrived. He was just totally accpeting about BF. He knows that Eddison has "mummy milk" cos he's a baby and big boys/girls have cow milk.
    I only felt slightly weird when I had to express and Spence was very insistent that he watch! He's seen cows being milked at a farm and was very keen to make the comparison, LOL. My boobs aren't quite saggy enough to be udders yet, thank you very much!

Good luck x
  • Hi Linzi,
    I've got no experience of this myself as ds is my first. However, he is exclusively bf and I have fed him infront of other children. My neice who had never been exposed to bfing before had no issues whatsoever (she is also 2 1/2) and simply said "Dylan's having his milk" and was quite happy with that. My cousin is 18months and she climbed up next to me and looked very inquisitive so I told her "Dylan's having boobie now" and she was happy with this and was more than happy to sit next to me and read a story. I work in a school and had 2 children arguing over where milk comes from when I was pregnant!!! One was adament milk came from a bottle whereas the other child was shouting, "No it comes from your mummy's boobies" - that was an interesting argument to break up!!!

Did you bf Evie? You may be able to explain to her that her little brother is having milk just like she did when she was a baby.

Are there any bfing groups nearby that you could go to before the new baby arrives with Evie so she can see other babies feeding so it isn't totally new?

As you will probably been feeding the new baby lots when they arrive, could you put together a special box of things you could do with Evie while feeding? Books to read, puzzles, colouring etc.

Hope some of these ideas help and good luck with the birth!!
    Jo x
  • Hi, my daughter was a 3 1/2 when I had my son, but I just explained it to her that mummies produce milk to feed their babies, and that's what her brother was having. She was fine with it, a little curious at first but they soon get used to it image

you can get books for toddlers on bfing so may be worth looking out for them to help explain it?

Thanksfully my two are old enough now to understand, being 9 and 5, though my daughter has asked more than once if she can help feed the baby when it gets here!
  • Hi, ive just had my 3rd, and the eldest one was too young to remember when i had my 2nd so it was new for both the big boys. I didnt say anything before hand. I just did it and waited for their response. I didnt make a big deal of it so neither did they.

When they asked i just said that mummy had milk in her boobies for the baby. The middle one has occasionally lifted his top to give his teddy booby milk but they dont bother. I think if you are stressed out and make a big deal, they will.

As for other kids, i dont think most of them even notice what you are doing

Gemm x
  • Hi I think you are worrying about it too much. My ds is 2years 8months and I have just had a baby. I didn't mention feeding but he has been quite fasinated by bf'ing. He always wants to watch! He sits and watches for a bit and then gets bored or I read a book to him while I feed etc. I have now explained that she is having milk.
    He has done a funny thing though! He loves counting parts of the body - 2 eyes, 2 arms etc and he counted 3 belly buttons the other day?! I said no we have 1 belly button! He said yes and 2 red ones!!!! Lol!! I had to explain they are nipples! The next day he sat on my bed, put my breast feeding pillow around his tummy, lifted his top and said where is my red belly buttons?? Lol!
  • oh bless newbiemum that really funny and so innocent!

I guess i just have to stop stressing about it, I know she'll just be accepting of it and not really care, just not sure how I'll be comfortable with her curiosity as I'm a little (stupidly) prudish and nervous about BF as it is. I will just have to chill out image

thanks everybody! xx
  • As a biologist I have started pointing out pictures of baby and mummy animals having milk. Abby is only 18 months but loves animal programmes and books so she snuggles up next to me to watch/read them. "Lionman" on Sky always has baby tigers and lions being fed by their mums. At this time of year there are also cows, sheep and horses around feeding their babies. Hopefully she understands that all babies get milk from their mummys.

H xx

PS I love the "red belly buttons" :lol: