Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Frustrated baby

My baby is 24 days old and breastfeeding was going really well and I really loved it but the last few days it has become quite stressful for both of us.

My son has a cold (since Friday), a lot of gas (since birth) and suspected reflux (having to let him go on in pain for a few more weeks before anyone will diagnose him!!). For some reason he doesnt want to take my left breast as much as my right. Ive checked my positions and left mimics right feeding. I can only think that he is in pain lying on his right side when taking the left breast (after visit to paeditrician yesterday for his gas problem, he said lying left laterally or on his back is better than on his right which can be painful with gas).

He seems ok initially when my left breast is full, but when (I assume) he reaches the hind milk he starts bobbing on and off and arching his back in frustration. I was told yesterday that its possibly the gas in his tummy that is irritating him and to stop feeding. But he screams and screams. I think he is hungry and Im concerned as he has dropped below his birth weight again (noted since Friday when weighed again) - after exceeding it a week ago. So when I put him on my right breast he gulps away like he is starving.

What am I doing wrong?

Im now in such a state with breastfeeding that I dont think Im giving my breasts a chance to empty due to the to-and-fro'ing. Plus he is not getting the more calorific hind milk (I assume) which may be why he is losing weight and not gaining it! He is getting frustrated and cries and I end up in tears which doesnt help the situation.

Please help!!

xx

Replies

• Poor little guy! Have you tried holding him in the "football hold" (American football, haha!) on the left side? Here's a youtube video: link. That way he would be lying the same way round whichever breast he was feeding from.
  • Hi

I had a fussy babe who would only feed on one side (never found a reason like you!) so i fed from one side and expressed from the other for a week or so until she got over it!

Good luck with football hold it can be quite tricky!
  • Thanks girls. Astraad - not sure where the link went but I did catch it before it disappeared and viewed it this morning. I did actually try the football hold yesterday but didnt really know what I was doing so that clip really helped. Brody did however go back on to my left breast today without any problem. I think he was too shattered to fight anymore as he had been screaming for 2 hours all up and just wouldnt settle for a sleep longer than 10 mins.

Ended up back at the gp today after a HV finally visited me. She prescribed Ranitidine which Ive given him tonight and it seems to have made a world of difference to him. Even getting some burps up which Ive not been able to do all day and (touch wood) he hasnt screamed yet.

Hopefully we can now concentrate on getting the feeds back on track and they can become an enjoyable experience again. Hoping im not jinxing by saying that !!

xx