Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Weaning

Hello,

Lo has had an upset tummy for a couple of weeks now, going to the toilet 5-6 times a day where as previously she was only going once a day or every other day (she is bf so it is usual for her to go infrequently). I am sure it is because she is teething with her first tooth (all other teething signs inc. loads of dribble) so I am not overly concerned, she still drinking milk well, seems fine in herself and HV agrees that she doesn't seem dehydrated at all.

Anyway because this has now been going on for over two weeks and she has really terrible nappy rash I am considering starting her on a bit of rice to se if it settles her tummy at all. She is 5 months. I know doctors recommend waiting until 6 months but everyone I speak with say they didn't wait this long. The reason I am not sure as to what to do is because she seems fine on the milk in all other ways and if it wasn't for the poo situation (and they are really disgusting!) I would be happy to wait a bit longer. I do now have to top her up with a bottle after some feeds, and she was waking during the night but I have gone back to giving her a 10pm feed and she sleeps through until about 8.30am. She can support herself well, watches me eat (but then again she is curious and watches everything?) etc., so maybe she is ready? Is baby rice even likely to help at all?

The other thing is that now I am giving her bottle top ups (Aptimil) she is having more formula than before, so maybe this is causing the tummy trouble? She has always had Aptimil on occasion since birth and I never noticed any problems previously. :\?

Thanks in advance for any help!

x

[Modified by: Excitedmum2b on 17 December 2008 12:17:24 ]

Replies

• Hi
    I would honestly say to try to wait until her little tummy settles a bit. I'm not sure that adding solids would help her belly, it might make her poos a little more sturdy! I weaned my LO at 4 months and I think you've done brilliantly to resist giving her anything until 5 months.
    When my LO moved from bf to ff I noticed he pooed a lot less but I know all LO's react in different ways.
    Hope she settles soon
    Liz x