Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Biting

Does anyone have a solution for biting? Charlotte's been fine up until now (8 months) but now that she has 2 top teeth (and 2 bottom teeth), she thinks it's a good idea to clamp down then pull away. She actually made me bleed yesterday. I don't want to do anything that will put her off feeding because she doesn't take much milk as it is.

Replies

• sorry cnt help but didnt want to read n run!im dreading teeth,grace is only 3 1/2 mths so im hoping i'll have a while yet although my older daughter had her first by 4 mths!hope she stops soon xx
  • hi my first 2 both bit once each and I said NO firmly, took them off and put them down on the bed. Neither of them did it again. However, my 3rd has been a little monster and has biting on and off since about 8 months (she's 17 months now and has 12 teeth). When she bites I have tried everything but she just lies there and laughs so loudly!! To be honest it gets me down when she does it because I am then nervous for a week or so that she will do it again (and sometimes she does). Having said that, she hasn't bitten me for about the last 8 weeks and for some reason I feel that she is over the biting stage (really hope I haven't spoken too soon!).Anyway, all I can do is empathise with you, suggest you try the pushing towards you or taking off and firmly sitting her down, and just hope she stops soon!! xx
  • Hi, my 8 mth old also has started biting while looking me in the eye and laughing (not very funny for me tho, lol).

The first instinct is to pull back from the pain, but that will only result in more pain because they never let go that way. What i've been doing kind of seems wierd, but has been recommended to me by many others.

When bub bites, gently but firmly put hand on back of bubs head and push inwards to your boob, when bub opens mouth to breathe, then you can pull back. Ummm, yes it sounds a little like suffocation, but it only takes a split second for them to let go, and i must say recurrence of problem so far is not too high,. lol.

Good luck, Shell & Paige
  • I read that if you take them off the breast whenever they bite they soon learn to stop as it interupts their feed, but this I think was for younger babies, I don't really know what you would do for an older baby that seems to laugh about it...

I have also read that pushing them into the breast so they open their mouth is supposed to help, it forces them to breath through their mouth and you can get away without any painful consequences.

My baby is only 3 months and I am dreading his first teeth as I had problems breastfeeding him in the beginning and ended up with sore nipples and that was bad enough!

Theresa
  • Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to try any of your solutions. Since Charlotte bit me 8 days ago, she has completely refused to breastfeed. I don't know if she got blood in her mouth or if it was her way of really clearly saying "I've had enough of that now Mummy." I kept trying to get her to latch on for her morning feed for a week before admitting it was over. She would just push me away. She'll happily have milk from a bottle - breast or formula - so that's the way we're going. I would have liked to keep going with the morning feed until she's a year old (8 months now) but it looks like it's not up to me.

I feel pretty good about it though - my initial aim was 6 months and we've far surpassed that. We had a lot of difficulty in the beginning with thrush, mastitus and a crack that wouldn't heal so I feel like I've done well to get this far. She's happy with a bottle and it's only 2 or maybe 3 feeds a day now. I'm going back to work next week so it seems like a logical time to stop anyway.