Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

ttc after bf

Hey everyone,

I'm still bf my son who's now 11 months. I'm planning to continue until next summer when he's 18 months if he's happy to keep going.

I'm planning to have a couple of months off after that, before we start trying for baby no.2, but wondering about fertility and if it'll take longer than that to go back to normal? I haven't had a period since i conceived my son!

Replies

• Hi, I think once your periods return your fertility should return to normal quite quickly. I had to go for an ultrasound during the same month of my first period (after having my son) and the doctor said he could see that I was ovulating. I am now pregnant & did conceive whilst still breastfeeding when my son was 10 months. My periods returned around the time he greatly cut down the number of feeds he was having. So, I think it can be different for everyone but probably likely your cycle will be back to normal when you reduce or stop bf. Well done for making it this far and beyond with bf..I stopped a week before my lo was 12 months due to my pregnancy but sometimes wish we could have gone longer! x
  • Thanks for the advice.
    If I was to get pregnant while still bf, can i continue to feed, or would i have to stop?
  • It's perfectly fine to continue bf whilst pregnant if you feel up to it..and many women do. The only reason I stopped is because I had hypermesis (severe morning sickness), was finding it hard to eat anything and I felt like I physically couldn't do it anymore. x
  • Hey,

I've been told that we are still just as fertile while bf'ing than not, it's just very difficult to work out when you are ovulating as you have no guide! We've been talking about starting to try for another one late next year, lo will over a year and at the moment I can see that i'll she'll still be having bf.
  • Hiya. I have just got pregnant while breastfeeding! Had my first period since giving birth when my son was 9 months. He was still on 4 feeds a day at that point, and that is the cycle I got pregnant from! I have now dropped down to 3 feeds a day. I'm also hoping to carry on until he's at least 1, maybe longer. Am finding his latch a bit uncomfy at the moment though, I can't decide if it's because of my hormones making me more sensitive or if he's being more forceful!

xxx

**Just editing as I've realised this is YET ANOTHER old post. Grrrrrrrr**