Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

tmi breast feeding and periods

hi ive got a ten week old baby boy who i bf exclussivly every 4 hrs at most n i keep getting pmt bloated tummy and bloody stuff a bit like a show. is this normal with my others i had nothing for 8 months after they were born. anyone know whats going on????imageops:

Replies

• my lo is 9 months and still no period but i do remember bleeding for at least 4 weeks after coming home and after that did get discharge when bf think just because womb was contracting when feeding.

if you're getting discomfort or bloating maybe speak to your HV or GP

hope all goes well

• im not too worried, i had an infection after baby ws born n it was awful so know its not that. just wondered if maybe he wasnt takin enough milk n that was making my period come back early if that makes sense xx
  • Hey I had that as well, I just put it down to my hormones settling down as babies were growing well and seemed contented so figured they must be getting enough milk, so id say providing baby seems happy, then babe is def getting enough xx
  • thanks hun thats a relief i feel really stressed out so must be the hormones.xxx
  • Hi I have exclusively breastfed all 3 of mine (and expressed as well to get more milk from early on) and my periods came back at 8 weeks with all of them. In fact this time I had one at 8 weeks then another 2 weeks later. Although most people don't have periods whilst bf some do (which is really annoying!) and it doesn't mean you are not feeding enough. Someone suggested it is because we are so fertile (I have been pregnant 5 times and got pregnant straight away each time). Just remember if you are having a period you will also be ovulating so could get pregnant. xxx
  • sorry been away from the comp and just seen this post.

arg....a question for you!I fell pregnant quickly with my lo who is my first. I had what I thought was a period,a month after lo was born.My hv said it was probably just a bleed as periods dont usually return so quickly when bf. I missed a month,but then have had a periods every month since.

Im interested to know where you found the information about been very fertile?!Just out of curiosity so I can warn my hubby another reason to be extra careful! xxx
  • Hi Bumpety Bump it was my midwife who said it. She is very experienced and a tutor. It makes sense to me on the basis that you are very fertile if you ovulate regularly and quickly start to ovulate again after each pregnancy.

I know that having a period doesn't mean that you are definitely ovulating and I know from my experience that you can ovulate without having a period as I got pregnant again in the month after a miscarriage before my next period was due, on two occassions. I got pregnant with my first 2 children the first month we tried then again when we tried for a 3rd which I mc, was pregnant again the next month and had another mc then got pregnant again straight away with my daughter.

I also think that we must be quite fertile because when we were trying for a girl the 2nd time I recorded my temperature for 10 months and knew that I ovulated on about day 14. I sent all of this to "an expert" who suggested we should stop having sex on day 9 which would make us more likely to have a girl then if we didn't get pregnant, gradually push the days closer to ovulation every few months. Anyway, I got pregnant the first month and our 2nd son was born 9 months later!!! The moral of that story is....

Although periods and ovulation are not directly related to each other they are obviously linked and if you are having a period you could also be ovulating and therefore could get pregnant again. My advice would be that unless you would be happy to be pregnant again, be careful!! xx
  • Is it normal to just have the 'odd' period when fully breastfeeding??
    I had one when lo was about 8 weeks (not very heavy lasted about 4 days) and nothing at all since. She is now 13 weeks. I've have tiny like streaks of blood like my body is 'trying' to come on if that makes sence. I think if I gave up feeding 2muro then I would probably come on soonish. It is annoying tho coz I feel really bloated too, however I'm enjoying not having periods tho. I'm guessing this could go on until I start weaning? x x x
  • I have been told by the person who discharged me from the hospital, my midwife and my doctor that woman are highly furtile after giving birth - I wonder if it's because of hormones??

I thought that I had period as I bleed for 4 weeks with the 4th weeks being very light and then it came back realily heavily like a period. At my 6 week check up my doctor said it might not have been one, my lo is 10 weeks and I have not had another! A breast feeding bonus!