Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Expressing for Weaning - I need your tips!

Hi Ladies.

Well the day has finally come - W Day that is. I have the bowls, spoons, baby porridge. And since the instructions on the porridge say "make up with baby's usual milk" I have also just, with quite a heavy heart, taken the breast pump and associated kit out of the cupboard and washed and sterilised it ready to use.

I used to pump in the beginning, until Elysia was about 8 weeks old I think, but got so depressed by the constant washing and sterilising, not to say being attached to a pump for endless sessions every day during which I would be unable to pick up my baby or do much else, that I ditched it and since then we've exclusively breast fed from the breast. I have to say I found it extremely liberating to ditch the thing! So now I feel quite depressed having to take it out of retirement again.

So to the point - I wanted to ask anyone who's expressing for the purposes of using the milk to make up baby food: how much do you express and how often? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to do it every day, but since milk doesn't keep that long in the fridge (is it 24 hours?) don't see how I could avoid it. Also, even if I froze the milk and just expressed every few days, isn't that really messing around with my supply? i.e. introducing one large random extra requirement for milk every few days.

I'd be really grateful for your help Mummies.

Thanks!

Rx

Replies

• As I didn't start weaning until 6 months I just used cows milk in her food and made proper porridge with oatmeal (as it cooks a bit quicker than oats) or oats if I was having some too. I mostly make a batch and refrigerate some for the next day and freeze some if I make more. This means that it tastes normal and I can finish any off that is left and can have a little as my lo eats better if she thinks she is having the same food as me, she loves to copy.
  • Here's a great link on BM storage:-

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

You'll see that milk can be kept in the fridge far longer than people realise. Good luck xx
  • My tip would be if you do freeze it, only freeze an oz or 2 in each bag - you only need a very tiny bit of milk to mix with baby rice.porridge at first and it's gutting to have to throw expressed milk away! it's wasteful of the bags but I preferred that to wasting milk! From 6 months though I'd just use cows milk.

I was never a 'regular' expresser but I never found it messed with my supply.
  • my HV advised me to use Aptamil cartons in her cereal or when cooking as BM doesn't have storable iron in and formula does and it also has all the vitamins added to it (rather than cows milk).

I had to think about it for a bit - didn't like the idea of giving formula in any way, shape or form but I guess it makes sense to ensure they get the storable iron and plenty of vitamins.

Just an alternative to getting stuck to the pump again (I really understand how you feel about this! I've just given up expressing at 7 months).

Love NN xxx

• I used bits of expressed milk for his porridge etc at first, but soon got fed up and he has had cow's milk ever since.

He was 6 months anyway when we started so cow's milk is fine for cereal.

We use a mixture of Boots baby cereal and Ready Brek and Weetabix, these two have added vitamins and Iron anyway so formula shouldn't be necessary (not sure .

Breast milk does have less iron than formula, but it is more biovailable and therefore easier absorbed than the iron added to formula, so not as crap as some HV and formula manufacturers would have you believe....I am not an expert but that is what I have read image
  • Thanks ladies that's really useful.
    xxx