Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

pumpathon

HI girls.

I got a bit worried last week that my supply was starting to dry up (I give Abby mainly expressed milk - with 1 formula top up a day) lately have been finding it harder and harder to pump enough for her feeds (without being chained to the pump day in day out). Anyway - my friend suggested doing a 2 day pumpathon (pumping every 1 - 2 hours for two days) she said that will boost my supply, and after 2 days I can go back to expressing twice a day.

Has anyone tried this - and did it work?
Would love to hear anyones experiences.

Nx

Replies

• not heard of this. but id imagine it would work as what you need to keep your milk supply going is stimulation. babies do it best but im sure a pump would do the job also. they say that the more your baby feeds at the breast the more milk you make to keep up with the demand. give it a go and let us all know how it goes.

im mainly brest feeding but do give him a top up bottle once during the day and also one ff at night given by dad so i can get some much needed sleep.
  • I haven't heard of this either however, I know from my own experience that if I am overdue on a feed then my boobs go so hard and uncomfortable! I couldnt imagine only feeding LO twice a day (I feed him myself and only express occasionally to put into the freezer) - my boobs would be killing me and I would go back to looking like Pamela Anderson!!! LOL.

As long as you don't get uncomfortable then I can quite imagine this will work in getting your supply back up, you should be fine. Do you express off both sides each time or alternate?

• Hi ladies!

To be honest - my boobs got more engorged when I was pumping regularly - but once they had got used to the idea of only pumping twicea day (I cut down gradually and it wasn't too bad) they have been fine, appart from my supply drying up. I do both breasts each time.

the 2 day pumpathon has made me really uncomfortable, but it definately has boosted my supply - so it has been worth it!

xx
  • Thanks for this! I am feeding mixed as well and my supply seems to be getting lower! I may have to try this if Ella gives me a chance!