Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much ebm to feed?

Hi,

I'm expressing milk and feeding my lo from a bottle, but not sure how much he should have per feed. Anyone got any ideas? I'm feeding him until he doesn't seem that interested anymore, but he often falls asleep during a feed and then wakes up hungry soon after - I'm feeding him approx every 2 hours. With the expressing in between this is exhausing for me so I'm guessing I should be getting him to take more at each feed?

But anyone know how much so I can have a guideline of how far to push it? He is 5 weeks and weighs around 12 lb.

Thanks xxx

Replies

• Options
    the general guide is halve their weight in lbs and offer this plus one in oz - so if he is 12lb then offer half that 6oz but add an extra oz as well just incase - it is trial and error though and they may need more or les. Have you thought of changing to an easier teat so he gets more?!
  • Options
    At that age Abby was having about 5 ozs per feed, and feeding every 3-4 hours. I always put 6 in her bottle though, as if she drained the bottle I didn't know if she was still hungry or not.

Have you tried changing his nappy to wake him up again during the feed? If he is awake and not interested then you know he is full, but if he is sleepy then it is harder to tell.

xx
  • Options
    Wow, I'm lucky if I can get him to take 3oz! No wonder he can only last 2 hours. I have tried changing his nappy etc but he then isn't interested in having more. Hmm, will have to try to find a way to get him to last longer between and take a proper feed...