Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

mixing breast and formula?

hi lily is 4 weeks old and i'm really struggling with bf...she constantly wants feeding during the day which exhausts me and gets me stressed.

i'm much happier giving her ebm at night as find it much easier giving her a bottle. was thinking of introducing formula so i could use the bottle the whole time but alternate with ebm.

has anyone else done this and what formula would i use...i have no idea!!

i'm only thinking about it at the mo as doing my best just to get through another week of bf. Just thought that if i did alternate between the 2 Lily would still get the some benefits of bm plus i wouldn't feel so guilty either as i really want to give her bm.

Hope all that makes sense!

Replies

• Replied to most of this in born in dec!
  • ooh i can totally appreciate this hun i posted mixed feeding thread take a look it might answer some of your worries we are still struggling and apparently this is the worst time of bf roxie is 5 weeks old and its really bad at night and im finding it difficult outside of the house as she wont latch on properly at the mo so im knackered all the time as i have a 2 year old to look after too. it does make you feel guilty to give a bottle wether ebm or formula i feel but we need a break sometimes hun you are doing whats right for you and lily. i am sticking it out at the moment to try get through this growth spurt period and seeing if it settles. have you tried a dummy? she may be comfort feeding which is what roxie does at night but she wont have one! damn! xx
  • Constant feeding can also be a sign of baby trying to increase milk supply so it is worth sticking it out. All the nipple stimulation will be making more milk and the more milk you make, the less likely you are to revert to FF
  • my lo wont have a dummy!!! i wish she would as she def uses me as a dummy as soon as the milk comes down she spits it out and cries! but she will not have the damn dummy! x