Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

help with sore boobs

Can anyone please give me some advice. my baby is almost 4 weeks old and for about a week now my nipples have been very red, sore, cracked and even bled.
I now express when she has a sleep in the day to try and give them abit longer to recover. Iv used nipple sheilds, and checked shes on right but it does'nt seem to be really getting better.

How can i get them to heal? Please help

Replies

• Hi - is lo latched on properly? sometimes when they get older and used to feeding they get a bit lazy and so don't latch on as well which could be making you sore. If necessary you will need to go back to basics and even get help (ask you health visitor if there are any breastfeeding counsellors or support groups around). I am assuming she does not have tongue tie which can cause sore and cracked nipples.
    The most common reason for sore, cracked and bleeding nipples (I can symapthise as I have been where you are although mine was due to tongue tie) is positioning and attachment.
    Meanwhile, try a few drops of lavender oil in your bath and get your nipples under the water to help with healing. While you have got sores you also need to make sure you check for thrush in baby as if she does get it, she can pass it on to you and it go through your sores causing pain.
    It probably seems like they will never get better and I know it it is difficult whilst you are feeding from them but it will get better eventually. Good on you for persevering.
    Hope you feel better soon xx
  • My MW recommended lansinoh which is pure lanolin. It really helped me in the early days - good luck!!
  • Thank you for the advice.
    What are the signs for baby having thrush. I will check again to see about her latching on, and no she doesn't have tongue tie. I had never heard of that till the health visitor checked her for it.

Thank you again. Any more ideas are very welcome.
  • Just thought, could me giving her a dummy have anything to do with it. They are designed for bf babies and i have been keeping an eye on her when she latches on. Im still going to ask health visitor though just to check im doing it right.
  • Thrush in a baby is white patches usually found in the mouth (either on the tongue or around the sides) which unlike milk won't wipe away with a tissue. They can also get it in their nappy area. x