Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

22 day old son... need help I am desperate

My son is 22days old. He was in NICU for 4 days and they fed him formula and my milk thru a bottle. He has now been home for a week and a half and I am having MAJOR issues getting him to breast feed. My boobs hurt so bad that I am dreading him waking again. I pump so that I can take a break putting him on me and I can still feed him breast milk. Yesterday my boobs started to bleed and today it is unbearable to pump or feed. I have tried calling the hospital lactation consultant, no return call, I tried emailing the LLL leader in my area no response yet. I am desperately in need of help. I want ot breast feed him but I am at the point where I am afraid I am going to have to go to formula to supplement. I use lanolin and a shield but it is still painful. My doctor said it is not a yeast infection.

Replies

• It sounds like you may have a split, this happens somethimes and can be very painful. you sound like you're doing the right thing using the Lanolin and the shield to give the nipple a break but make sure you get pleanty of air to the nipple too between feeds, even if it means telling everyone to stay away and wandering about topless for a couple of days. the nipples need time to heal and getting the air to them will help.

I'm sure your little one will get the hang of it soon, it took me and my baby quite a while to properly get into the swing of things.

grab every opportunity to have a nice warm bacth to ease engorged breasts and it sounds mad but cabbage leaves in your bra can really help draw out the milk

try and express by hand, have you been shown how? with the palm of your hand press downwards over your boob towards the nipple just pressing from top to bottom with your hand once you have expressed some this wasy the pressure should be eased and then you may be able to press more firmly to express more. use hot flannels to soften the breast before hand so it's not too painful

hope this helps, you are doing so well, keep pestering the hospital for assistance and speak to you health visitor too she may be able to come round and advise.

good luck and take care
  • Hi there, that sounds really painful.As he is still really young you could phone your midwife i think they have a duty of care up to six weeks post natally. Cabbage leaves really does work, dont feel bad about taking paracetamol either. Have you tried feeding your LO with you both sat in the bath? If you soak in warm water for a bit and express a little by hand just to get the milk flowing. Get your oh to bring your lo to you and cuddle him close. Make sure it is warm and he will love the skin to skin...hopefully!I really liked this when my lo was tiny.
    Lauren
  • With my 4th I had bleeding nipples even though I was using nipple sheilds, I spoke to the out of hours doctor and they recomended I took a break for a couple of days and just expressed by hand but not to feed it to my baby as obviously because of the blood. It worked along with advent nipple cream which I could not recommend enough to any breast feeding mother it is a god send.I really hope you are feeling better today and have not given up thinking of you take care. xx
  • it sounds as though your positioning may need some looking at hun as you shouldnt be feeling this sore.Also he could have got used to sucking from the bottle which is a different suckling action than when feeding from the breast.Kepp calling and see if you have any luck i really hope somebody gets back to you soon .Sorry i cant help any more xxx