Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breastfeed seoconmd time after not 1st time

my son didnt latch on ever and after 6 weeks of trying and expressing, i gave up andd put him on bottle. how can i beleve i can do tbhis now im pregnant with second,i really want to. but as i bottled fed i no nothing abouyt breastfeeding,amount of feeds ect?

Replies

• Hi Mrskc, we're both due in May! I feel the same as you. I tried for just over 2 months with my son but breastfeeding was really unsuccessful and I'm really frightened about doing it again. I definitely want to try it again and I would love for it to work out this time but after all the pain and upset it caused last time I'm feeling really anxious about it. I think this time I might try to do a breastfeeding workshop before baba comes along to try to work out a plan / talk through how I can try to make it work better this time. I think if I can get off to a better start right from the beginning I might have a better chance. LIke you my son didn't want to latch on - he was born on a Saturday morning & didn't feed until the Tuesday / Wednesday. After that he did latch but not properly so it was a really painful experience & thanks to tongue tie which was not diagnosed until he was 7 weeks it meant he learned it all wrong & could never get a good latch.
    Sorry to ramble on, but like you I'm wondering how to do it this time.
  • Just wanted to say I am in the same boat. DD wouldn't latch, so ended up expressing for almost 6 months. I know that I won't be able to do that for this baby, so really want bfing to be successful.

Will be watching for replies image

Cate
    16+0
  • Hi ladies =D

Its great news your gonna have a go this time. I think having an optimistic view to breastfeeding and that determination to do it will benefit you in the early weeks when its tough.
    In terms of not knowing about breastfeeding, there's not much to it really.

Here's a few pointers (but i'm no expert!)

>Babies feed 'on demand', you'll know when your little one wants feeding - its normally every 2 hours in the early days settling to 3-4 hours around 8weeks but every baby is different. Some babies like mine tend to cluster feed in the evening where they're hungry every hour. You don't have to wake a bf baby for a feed and don't have to stick to times, you'll naturally fall into a routine.
    >You don't have to prepare your nipples but have some kamillosan cream or lansinoh handy for those first few days where your nipples can become sore. Expressing and rubbing on milk after a feed helps.
    >You don't have to give breastfed babies water until they start solids
    >You have 2 types of milk - fore (watery like a drink) and hind (thicker and more satisfying). You dont have to worry about what amounts they're getting, just make sure you don't switch breasts too soon otherwise they'll only be getting foremilk and will become hungrier quicker. I think its average for a 15 minute feed each breast at first while you have small amounts.
    >You will have enough milk! Its supply and demand. Make sure the midwives help you to get a good latch before you leave hospital and your milk should 'come in' on the 3rd-5th day. Up until then, you'll have small amounts but its all your baby needs, dont be tempted to supplement with formula. Your milk will change from yellow colostrum to creamy changing milk to white milk.
    >Breastfed babies can get wind - the books like to tell you they dont but they do! They also have runny poo!
    >You will need breastpads/nursing bra/lots of muslins/nipple cream for starters. Pumps/bottles etc only if your planning to express.
    >You can express your milk and freeze for up to 3 months. Just 1 session a day will build up your milk supply, dont worry about not being able to feed and express, you'll produce enough if just expressing 1 feed.
    >Medication needs to be checked with docs before taking in case it passes in the milk

In terms of actual feeding from the breast there are different positions you can hold your baby but whatevers most comfortable for you. I just lie my baby across my lap and cuddle him in. There's a saying 'nose to nipple and tummy to mummy' is a good way of positioning. Their nose should be level with your nipple so their open wide and get a lot of breast in too (they dont just feed off the nipple). You'll hear gulping noises when they're feeding and when they've had enough their arm should go floppy instead of grabbing on and have a contented expression. If you hear clicking noises they aren't attatched correctly and air is getting in.
    I normally sit him up then and wind and he usually sicks a bit back up.

You dont need a particular diet when breastfeeding, just a balanced one. I'd stay clear of hot spicy food as this can give tummy ache for babies as it passes in the milk in tiny quantities. Alcohol is a tricky subject. I have 1 glass of wine on an evening and still do the night feeds but i think if its a special occassion and baby's away, use any expressed milk you have to feed baby and 'pump and dump' if you have engorged breasts but still feel under the influence. When the alcohol has left your bloodstream, it leaves your milk.

Im sure the ladies in this forum will agree that its hard work but the results and the feeling you get from it are so worth it! Milky little contented faces, open mouths rooting for boob, tiny hands trying to push the milk out quicker are just a few of the little things i love - as well as that amazing bond you get and sense of achievement

I have a little shop on ebay and i do starter bundles as well as lots of useful goodies. If you fancy a nosey i live at www.ebayshops.co.uk/boobiebabiesboutique

Happy breastfeeding and so sorry to waffle on!!! (Can you tell my babies asleep!)
  • wow! great advice, everyting i needed to no. thanks!x
  • Great advice. The only thing I'd add is that you can go to breastfeeding support groups whilst you're pregnant. I didn't know that and it would have helped to know who to call when I was having problems. That said I got lots of support and am still feeding him at 4 months.
  • yes my son was jaundice and tounge tied so i guess that doesnt help. thanks i hope to do it next time.
  • Mrskc - my son also had tongue tie and I've been told it's likely that any future kids I have are highly likely to have it and to get it checked asap as it cam have such a significant effect on the bf relationship.
  • my son was born on a friday and i tried to bf in hsopital till tuesday and he was done on wed.