Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

the good bits of breastfeeding....

we hear all sorts of bad things about bf but i thought we could start a post about what we have found to be the good bits, so that anyone who has been told horror stories can look at it and know its not really all bad... image

I love bf, and have (I'll admit) had a pretty easy time doing it.
For me its the fact that its free, always ready and my ollie loves it. He gives me a big cheeky grin everytime he's finished feeding which makes me light up.
all i can say tho is he now knows how to 'feed' himself so I cant wear low cut tops whn we go out anywhere! :lol::lol::lol:

xxxx

[Modified by: StepheY on 28 January 2008 17:17:14 ]

Replies

• hi stephe,
    bless ollie helping himself! ryan is 6 weeks old and a champion breastfeeder! he is quite a mover aswell he can shuffle humself down from me snuggling him up at my shoulders until he is horizontal and trying to latch onto my top!

i love the closeness and the satisfaction that my baby needs me and i can fulfil that need.
    i hope i continue to enjoy bfing my lo for as long as i can!
    xxxxx
  • I love it when my baby boy goes a bit 'drunk' just before he falls asleep at the end of a feed. He unlatches and his eyes are half closed and a bit cross-eyed and it's so cute.
    And then when he comes round, with a nice full tummy and a bit of a milk moustache and gives me a special smile that's different from any other - almost like he's saying 'cheers, Mum'!
    Also, I really love looking at him and thinking, I grew you - all of you, every last bit! I feel very proud then! xx
  • i found the big bonus was no screaming baby at night waiting for a bottle to heat up, just straight into bed with mummy for a snuggle feed then back to sleep image
    xxx
  • Going to the clinic to get weighed was a real highlight for me cos every time my baby put weight on I wanted to turn round to everyone and scream at them " I DID THAT "
    It's such a fantastic feeling knowing that you and only you are responsible for your baby thriving. Some of the proudest moments of my life hav been at the clinic.
  • yay i love it all, that lovley snuggly feeling, the contented little face that looks up at you as you lo is feeding and the feeling of self satisfaction when you take your baby to the clinic after fretting about him having enough milk and finding out hes put on over 2lb in 2 weeks.

Isaac is over 9 months and still b/f although he was trying to help himself on a packed bus today lol
  • Everything is a plus - no bottles to make, heat up, its instant and warm!!
    Her little smile during and after a feed.
    Knowing you are still helping her grow big and strong.
    Having to sit still for at least 15mins whilst your other children (2 daughters aged 5 and 2 1/2 in my case) run rings around your oh!!
    I've really enjoyed bf - I never thought I would say that as I bottle fed by 1st 2 daughters, but this has been a lovely, positive experience!
    Sam xx
  • I love b/f especially since it means i'm the only one who can do it. Grace is 5 mths and at the stage where she's easily distracted. It's amazing how far my milk can squirt! {hee hee} Al x
  • I must admit I love b/f and if I have any more kids I would deffo do it again! I love feeling close to my lo and knowing she all her growing is down to me. I just love everything about it.
  • I love the closeness I feel when feeding my lo. The drunk look is so cute. Im glad I decided to breast feed, its so much easier than bottle feeding cause no sterilising, boiling kettle and making up the feed then cooling it.
  • I absolutely love bf my lo. The fact that I know he is getting all my goodness and growing really well on it too is just the best feeling.
    It's so nice to snuggle him in and have that time together, just me and him.
    There are so many plus points really like all the girls have said so if your thinking of giving it a go, once you've got over the first bit, it is definitely worth while.
  • Great post girls! Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm expecting my first in 5 weeks and would really, really like to bf. It's very encouraging to read your stories.

I've been to two bf classes locally which have been a great help in theory. i'm ready for the real thing now!
  • Oh I would like to breast feed this is my first - was a little worried about how hard it would be but thanks to you girls ive reminded myself that its natural! lovely hearing these stories... xxx
  • its the smacking slurping noises like its really really tasty the the wee fly smlie up at me mid feed that says love you mum!!had loadsof problems at first and it was my second time doingit but we got there in the end abby is a big girl so we are suplimenting but she gets me first and once i have ran out its formula and you should see her face you would think i was trying to poison her lol
    fea x
  • I breastfed my darling son until he was 14mths old and then stopped reluctlantly as I was 6mths preg and was finding it a bit tiring. I loved it, so much easier than preparing feeds, sterilising bottles etc etc and it was such a wonderful bond between us. When born he was very sick and I believe one of the reasons he recovered so well was that he was tube fed with breast milk. Local breast feeding groups are a great way to meet new mothers and are very social occasions. I would definitely recommend it and only hope that I am as successful with no.2 in a couple of weeks
  • I love feeding my lo too. He's 20 weeks old now and fab. I fed my first baby, but had a bit of trouble with my 2nd and stopped after 6 weeks (still feel guilty) but it was right at the time for us both. Is this a silly thing to say??? but I actually miss feeding him at night (as he sleeps through.. bless him). That lovely feeling of just him and me 2.00am in the morning, maybe I can say that because I am now getting some sleep!!!! lol
  • Ladies, I want to thank you so much for this thread - I'm 21+3 and am absolutely desperate to be able to b/f.
    I didn't have much success with my last ds and had to give up at 3 months having done so much wrong (I had no idea and there was so little support) like getting dh to give him a bottle of ff late at night so I could get a little sleep etc etc.

Had sore nipples (grating glass over it type of sore!) and was advised by NCT advisor that perhaps I should just go to the bottle!

I am so anxious already that I won't be able to b/f especially as I'm having an elective c section, so it's good to hear some of you were able to overcome initial problems. I'm going to start a new thread for tips on b/f and would love to hear anything you think could help me increase milk flow etc etc - anything at all to make b/f a success.

Sorry for such a long post - thank you ladies again - I'm positively tingling and can't wait to start!!!!

Karenx
  • Ladies, I want to thank you so much for this thread - I'm 21+3 and am absolutely desperate to be able to b/f.
    I didn't have much success with my last ds and had to give up at 3 months having done so much wrong (I had no idea and there was so little support) like getting dh to give him a bottle of ff late at night so I could get a little sleep etc etc.

Had sore nipples (grating glass over it type of sore!) and was advised by NCT advisor that perhaps I should just go to the bottle!

I am so anxious already that I won't be able to b/f especially as I'm having an elective c section, so it's good to hear some of you were able to overcome initial problems. I'm going to start a new thread for tips on b/f and would love to hear anything you think could help me increase milk flow etc etc - anything at all to make b/f a success.

Sorry for such a long post - thank you ladies again - I'm positively tingling and can't wait to start!!!!

Karenx
  • just wanted to bump this for any ladies who are worried about there being no good bits to bf.

hope you all do what you want to do image

xxxx
  • I totally agree. I have been breastfeeding for 5 months now and plan to do so for as long as possible. I love the closeness me and my daughter have. The way she looks for me when feeding time comes, melts my heart!
    It really helps you bond with baby. The feeling you get when looking at your lo when feeding is more than words can say. Its a proud feeling to know that not only did you make baby for 9 months but you are continuing to help them grow.
    Caz x x
  • my little lucy (well not so little) is 8 months old i just love how well and healthy she is i love the way i can comfet her in an instant and the lovly bond we have! she is amasing and i am so proud of her (and my self!) xx