Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I have not succeeded at breassfeeding

I can't believe that I would be writing this post.I have tried many things: regular feeding

yesterday i expressed after feeds but that did not help so today i thought i would do what i did not want to do: take lo off the breast and express every one and a half to two hrs and give him what i can get in a bottle> tHE THOUGHT BEING; little bm is better than nothing. I got three oz first then two ozs, then 2 oz and that is after at least half hr t forty five mins. I thought that if i failed at giving him the breast then at least I could give most of his feeds in a bottle.

Lo wanted the breast about twenty mins ago and breasts were empty. I just cried my heart out and feel like such a failure even though I know I have tried very hard. I wish I could start all over but guess I will never feel I succeeded at bf since this will be my last lo.I know formula is not poison but it sure feels like it.

My hats off to all you ladies who bf yur babies and all the best.

Karen keep going since I know we both struggled but at least you could go until you could introduce solids.
Sorry for the long rant but this is a forum where i know other ladies understand.

Replies

• I'm so sorry that things haven't worked out for you. I don't have any suggestions (and anyway I think you have tried pretty much everything already) but I didn't want to r & r. Try not to feel too bad about it, formula is not poison and you have tried so hard too make bfing work for you.
  • Oh hun you sound so down, really sorry. Don't torture yourself over this, you have obviously tried so many different things and tried so hard, some people would have given up at the first hurdle. You should be so proud of yourself for what you have achieved so far, think of all the positives. You have obviously put a lot of thought into things and are doing what you feel is best for you and your LO, and that is very special and makes you a fab mummy. Hugs.

xxx
  • hi hun im sorry you have had such a bad time of it. but you did your best hun n thats really all you can do. im struggling myself at the moment n soon i'll have to throw in the towel so i know how ur feeling but to get any bm atall is so good for baby so dont beat yourself up over it xxxxxxxxx
  • i think you should be proud of yourself for doing what you have done. its not always easy to bf so any amount is a victory. the fact you have tried so hard is just credit to you
  • Hi babes - looks like I'm going the same way as well. I've been crying my eyes out this morning cos lo was screaming when I tried to feed him this morning. I had to top him up with ff afterwards and he drank 4oz.

Even after sleeping for 7 hours last night, my boobs were as soft as anything and he wasn't settled after a feed.

I've gone and bought a medela swing electric pump today in one last bid to get my boobs to replenish themselves. I've also seen a device that you hang around your neck and tape little tubes to your boobs and you put ff in the bag around your neck. The idea is that lo is still suckling and stimulating your supply but gets ff to fill them up until your supply improves. Not sure if I'll go down that route as yet, lot of faffing around, but I'm so desperate.

I'm so sorry hon - I know exactly how you feel - this is how it went with my last ds and it seems to be going the way now. My lo is weaned now - but I still can't cope with the demand.

Big hugs - it feels like a loss doesn't it? You will feel better in time though - I might need some hugs back in a few days the way I'm going.....(sigh).........xx:cry:
  • Big hugs honey.

I know you've tried everything you could have tried, you haven't got anything to feel ashamed/guilty/sad about. You have given your LO the best start in life, and bf doesnt always work for everyone.

Now you need to concentrate on your LO and you, and spending time enjoying each other.

I am really sorry it didnt work out for you this time, I know how much you wanted it too. (but, on the bright side, at least someone else can feed LO while you go grab a nice hot bath every now and again... :\) )

xxxxx
  • Hi, I was in the same position as you with my little boy. It feels heartbreaking when it goes wrong and you so want to continue. In the end and over time, I realised I had done a great job giving Ollie colostrum and milk as long as I could.

Ollie is now 13 months and as fit as a flea. I felt the same as you regarding formula but child health is so much more than just the milk, maternal diet and what you feed your child post weaning are also just as important. Ollie gets a great diet and I know he is a very healthy little boy.

Please dont forget all you have done so far with maternal diet, colostrum etc and what you will do when you wean your child. It will get better in time xxxxx
  • Thanks all,

It has been helpful reading all the lovely things you have said. Will bear them in mind
  • Hey,

I just wanted to say well done for getting as far as you did, you should be proud of trying so hard and for giving you lo as much as you can - it's they early weeks that are the most important.

Lisa
  • Hi

Please don't give up if you are not ready too. What you have said sounds a lot like the first few weeks with my lo. What the HVs and MWs are slow to tell you is that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for your milk supply to establish itself.

It took 7 weeks for it to establish with me. My lo is 12 weeks now and mainly bf. This is what I did.
    Either bf lo each time he is hungry and then top up with ff when necessary or alternate ff with bf when I felt my milk supply was low or I was tired.

Remember breastfeeding uses up to 500 calories a day - you have to eat well and drink loads of fluids. If you have someone else to look after little one, go to bed about 2 pm everyday as your milk supply will build while you are resting.

Remember if you stop you might not be able to start again, so think really carefully. Hope things work out for you.

• winsett-im so sorry you have had so much trouble with your milk supply,how old is lo?Its true what the other ladies have said that you have given him the best possible start and you have already passed on immunity and all that goodness in your colostrum and bm.Please dnt feel bad,so many mothers dnt even try to bf and it seems that you have tried your very best.You need to remember what you have done for your baby and should be proud.Good luck and all the best,hanna n baby grace xxx
  • Hey Tyger,

Thanks alot. I certainly am not ready and has begun to do exactly waht you are suggesting. I don't have anyone to hold baby but this week i am inviting my parents from Jamaica to come over tohelp. If i can keep going till they get a visa then I will get sme rest. You see i have other children so it is a big rush morning and afternoon.

I am continuing to bf as much as possible but trying to see the experience more as nursing my baby rather than just providing milk. That way when i have to top up it does not feel as stressful. f I can continue to 6 mths that would be a bonus.

good on you for continuing. Do you mainly bf now?
  • Winsett

I've started using a medela swing pump as mentioned and it is brilliant! I'm only getting small amounts out at a time,b ut my supply does seem much better this morning. I thought I was onm my way out yesterday but thought to myself that I'm not ready to throw in the towel no matter what - think we're both as bloody minded with this!

so my advice (and I know they're pricey at ??90) is to go get a medela today!

I've also ordered some more toad water but the one with goats rue in it as well - anything's worth a try!

Know what you mean about being too busy to rest - it's exactly the same with me. When will your parents get over here? Have they got any friends I can adopt as grandparents to replace my useless parents and PILs??!!!

For the first time in ages I feel a bit more positive - fingers crossed!xx
  • Hey Karen

Glad to know you are sticking with it. I have got the madela pump already that is why i get anything out. last lo i used maual and it did not work for me.

I don't know when my parents will get here or if they will be granted the visa but I am praying they are granted and will get here in a few weeks.
    How is the goats thing supposed to help? I have some extras if you need any of the old one since i ordered more than I needed the last time in error. I was rushing and did not notice i clicked the item 4 times.

No more parents to help, sorry. Keep going girl. I am doing the same even if it means half of his needs.
  • Dear Winsett, I know so much how you feel. I have just posted a great long message pleading for advice. My lo is 4 weeks old and I just cannot get him to latch on properly. I feel such a failure and seem to spend half my life crying, I am so miserable and am not enjoying him at all. I have tried everything that I can think of - every postition, phong bf counsellors, watching dvds and reading books but still nothing helps. I feel just so useless and it is heartbreaking to see him so upset and distressed after yet another unsuccessful feed. I am now topping him up after every feed with expressed milk and whilst I know he is still gettin gmy milk, it breaks by heart using a bottle as it is a reminder of just how rubbish I am. I wish I had something positive to say to you, but I am afraid all I can do is to sympathise and say that I understand x
  • Can I just say that you have inspired me.

BF came naturally to me but hand on heart I know if i had had lots of problems i would not have tried as much as you. You are def not a failure the effort you have put in is amazing

xxDBxx
  • Winsett - I am so please I have helped u. I was worried that you would find my comments upsetting.

I am back to fully breatfeeding - my lo usually gets one formula feed as I go to bed to help him sleep for a longer spell and he gets formula if we are out sometimes.

He is 3 months now and a 16lb bonny baby!!!

I was having trouble just before I posted my previous message and had got myself so run down, I had no milk, I had to give him formula for a full day and felt dreadful. I was determined to keep going and within a few days my milk supply was back.

I hope that you are getting on better now?