Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Fao anyone who's stopped bfing

Hiyah ladies,

I stopped on Saturday and my breasts feel like they're going to explode, I'm so uncomfortable. How long will I feel like this? It took me all my strength not to feed lo when he asked today, urgh, I feel awful both physically and emotionally.

I didn't think it would be like this-lo is nearly 16 months and was only having one feed a day, I didn't think I'd even notice dropping it but my boobs are like boulders! X

Replies

• Oh i hate that feeling, i get really engorged at times and its awful. Could you maybe try expressing for a few days? At the same time as you did feed and just reduce the amount, maybe 4 oz today, 3 tomorrow?

Gemm x
  • Thanks Gemm,

I'm going to express now, I haven't got a pump so will just do it by hand-at least he can have it on his cereal in the morning! I can't possibly go to bed feeling like this let alone do a full days work tomorrow! X
  • hi, i've got some tea in my little ebay shop called 'no more milk tea' by earth angel baby mama and it helps your milk to dry up. Its on this link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-Earth-Mama-No-More-Milk-tea-decrease-milk-supply-/180526866575?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Breast_Pads_Pumps_LE&hash=item2a083d608f
    I'm still breastfeeding and hate to think of the pain when i eventually stop. its hard enough now when i miss a feed! xx
  • A bath, warm flannel and savoy cabbage leaves (chilled in the fridge first) in the bra - works like magic. xx
  • Thanks everyone, my boobs have settled down now-they're still full but not painful or hard. I'm an emtional wreck though-I honestly never expected I'd feel like this, I'm guessing alot of it is hormonal, I was desperate to feed lo last night-I nearly snuck into his room while he was asleep! I know I'm doing the right thing though, nows a good time to stop and lo has been easily distracted with a biscuit and an episode of big barn farm! I'm just gutted that the breastfeeding days are over especially as lo won't sit still for a cuddle anymore xx
  • hi p bob- i feel/felt like you when i stopped feeding ruby 3 weeks ago!(she is 18 months) physically my boobs went hard and lumpy after about 3 days, then they started to hurt and i was a bit panicky that i was going to get mastitis or something! after about 10 days or so the lumpiness went and they have felt ok again. i still have milk there though after 3 weeks!
    emotionally i have been a bit of a wreck. I nearly tried to feed Ruby again about 2 nights ago when i put her to bed-eek! i cried when i stopped, i want to cry when she comes for a cuddle and i cry when i look at her acting more grown up every day!!! what a weirdo i must be, i think it must be the hormones!
    Most weird of all, this last week i have broken out in the most horrendous spotty skin and my period has been really heavy compared to those whilst bf. It must all be hormonally linked hey?
    anyway, i'm sure we will be ok about it soon!
  • just g/c this thread, when did you all get af back!? i havent fed for a month and still got milk?! is this normal!? we want to start trying for baby number 2!
  • My son is 9 months on thursday and i just got my period last monday and that is my first since his birth.
  • I got af 4 weeks after giving birth (to the day!) despite exclusively bfing! I think it's normal for it to take a while though x
  • thanks for the replies image katieceve i have also heard this, but it doesnt look like it this time! about 2 hours after my previous post i came on!! bloody hell i wish i hadnt of though, its so heavy! image

i hope it doesnt last very long!! i want to get trying again!! image xx