Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Never happy after a feed

Hi
I'm combination feeding Eleanor (6+2) and when I BF her she very rarely finishes happy or content. She empties one side, I wind her, then try the same side but she just messes with the nipple (and the boob feels empty). I then give her the next side and she'll empty that. She cries like she wants more, but if I offer her more (either side!) she just messes or comfort sucks. She feeds v quickly and the milk comes out quickly. I'm anxious after I feed her that she's not getting enough, or not the hind milk? She will eventually settle with a dummy and a walk around, but I'd love her to come off content and happy!
Does this sound normal? Could she be feeding so quick that she doesn't register she's full? She doesn't need a formula top up as she often brings some milk back up.
She doesn't tend to come off the bottle happy either, so maybe she's just like her Mum and would happily graze all day ;\)
I stopped completely BF at 6 weeks cos try as I might (and boy did I try) I couldn't feed without my nipples, boobs and areolas being sore. I think it was a mix of me being very sensitive and Eleanor sucking hard and fussing. We are now giving her bottles in the day (formula - expressing was just too much with a 3 year old too) and I feed her in the evening, in the night and first thing in the morning. Is anyone else combination feeding?
I felt guilty and ashamed for stopping BF totally but at least she got a good start.
Thanks
Juliette :\)