Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Q For Those Who Express

Hi ladies, I was looking for some advice. My 6 week old Hannah is fed only expressed bm, due to problems latching on. When we go out, I sterilise my manual pump (I have an electric one too), and take it with me. Now at the moment, the longest we go out for is a couple of hours.

If I wanted to go out for a whole day, would I be able to reuse my manual pump a few hours after it has been used, or would I need to sterilise it again? Also the bottles, if I sterilised some and then put the lids on, how long would they stay sterile for in my bag?

At home my pumps are sterilised after every use, and my botttles are sterilised right before use, but I want to go out for longer than a few hours!

Any tips would be great!

Replies

• Options
    personally i wouldn't reuse it without it being sterilised. are you able to freeze some and take it with you that way?

i've recently bought some steriliser travel bag thingies that can be popped into the microwave - so maybe if you are out and about you could try and find somewhere that would put it into a microwave to sterilise for you?

i'd be interested to know the answer to your bottle question as i wonder the same thing!!

xxx
  • Options
    Well as far as im aware unused bottles are sterile for 24 hours.

regards the reusing the breast pump i do but i dont then give the milk to my newborn i put it in the toddlers cereal as they dont need things as sterile. you could take a cold water sterliser with you, maybe leave it in the car only takes 15mins then its sterile.

xx

ps well done on the expressing its really hard going, ive just started to get cracked nipples boo hoo (im expressing as ds is in SCBU)