Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

weight gain for 2 week bf baby? help

hi my babys 2 weeks 2day
he was 8lb 11oz at birth
8lb 6 day 5
he was weighes yesterday and was 8lb!
im exclusivly bf, i got midwife coming agin 2morow to c if hes gaining.
hes pooing and weeing, isnt dehydrated etc but does want to feed almost constantly!!
do i not have enuff milk?
can only get a little bit out wen i express.
my plan was to wait till 2 morow if hes lost again then give him formula!
i must admit tho i caved last nite and offered him formula but he didnt know wot to do with the bottle!!
im a little worried ?
anyone with any advice?
btw he hasnt lost more than 10 percent of body weight he just taking long to get back to birth weight !
thanx
Lisa and Vinnie 2 weeks 2day!

Replies

• Options
    Try not to worry too much as long as he is happy and alert. He is fine. the fact he want to feed a lot is normal and he is working hard to regain his weight. if he is hungry he would be unhappy and unsettled. Do get the midwife to check his latch as this can affect how effective feeding can be. the other thing is has he been measured on the same set of scales each time as this can also make a big difference! I have known a baby loss 5oz in 20 seconds being moved from on set of scales to another!

Only give formula if you really want to! not because to think you are not producing enough milk! he will let you know if he is hungry!
    xx
  • Options
    it took my lo 3 weeks to get back up to his birth weight he lost about 8% of his birth weight. The health visitor and midwife werent overly concerned and now at 8 weeks he weighs 9lb 9 (7lb 13 born) and the hv said hes doing great. I would say every 2weeks ish he feeds constantly for a couple of days and i think its the growth spurts, you will have enough milk as the constant feeding is how lo ups your supply.

My lo now has 1 bottle of formula as a night feed just so hubby can do his bit and if introducing a bottle helps you to carry on bfing and your mw advises it then give it a go