Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stopping

Due to me being ill when lo was born she was taught to feed from bottle so has always refused breast. I have expressed at least twice a day since she was born and mixed fed. I've decided now that its time to stop, partially due to medical reasons and because I've had enough of being milked like a cow.
Does anyone know how long (rough guide) till boobs settle. I know they won't go back to normal maybe ever. But how long will they leak for and hurt (been 36 hours since expressing last and in agony).
Any advice on easing pain? (have expressed for nearly 8 months)
Thanks

Replies

• Options
    u need to train ur boobs to not produce as much milk, i wld suggest hand expressing to release the milk just enough to stop the pain, u'll then stop producing as much, ur boobs wont get as full, they then wont hurt so then u can stop alltogether. if u can't handexpress, use ur pump but only draw of aenough to stop it hurting, for example if u usually express every 4 hours try a little hand expressing every 8. u really shldn't leabe it so long tho that its causing u pain, thats a sure fire way to block ducts and mastitis. good luck and well done for getting so far, expressing is a tiring and time consuming business, and i gave up expressing when ds was 4 months and just mixed fed with breast and bottle until last week when ds turned 7months. i cldn't find the energy or patience to express, so well done. xx