Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby using me as a soother - can anyone suugest anything?

Hi girls

My lo is a week old today, and goes to sleep at the boob - when he's tired he seems like he wants to feed but goes to sleep quite quickly.

I'd rather not use dummies with him because my first lo had a dummy and it was a nightmare trying to wean him off it - and midwifes etc recommend not using them.

Has anyone any ideas what I can do - I know it's only been a week, but I'd rather try and get him into a routine without needing my boobies to get to sleep.

thanks

tracy xxx

Replies

• well my dd used to do this to me, and it wore me down and well she has a dummy it comforts her, she has the closer to nature ones, but i was told it is good for reducing the risk of sids? oh well we all get told diffrent things! pointless post really as i am now on bottles !

chleo and lacey almost 7 wks!

[Modified by: chloe123 on May 29, 2009 12:59 PM]

• try and wake him up by strokin his cheek or taking a layer of clothing off.

• Thanks girls, I'm sooo sore in the (.)(.) at the minute, and I'll try anything I can do to stop him doing this. Also, I read on another website that we shouldn't bf them to sleep - even at night - what do they expect us to do - leave them to cry at night when they're hungry???

Aaarrggh all we get is conflicting information from "experts" - wouldn't it be nice if they came with their own manual?!?!
  • i was finding that ciara would start off feeding and then change to 'comfort sucking' and fall asleep, id try the tickling her face, stripping her down..everything (tickling her ear works pretty well.) but we found the she was sucking her fingers a lot to the point that they would go red..and she would scratch her face while doing it..so we opted for the closer to nature dummies...she doesnt have them all the time, but they really help to comfort her......and she hasnt got confused between suckin them and latching onto the boob..which was my main concern.

bailey_b and ciara (24 days)
  • hi hun, my hv told me about compressed feeding, when lo is asleep at boob gently cup one hand around boob and it helps the slow flow get faster so that lo gets all hindmilk.making it faster will wake him and encourage him to drink. have you not tried another comforter ie muslin square , my lo used to love this before i gave him a dummy x
  • I don't know if you want to hang on a little longer, but my son has taken to sucking his fingers as a form of self-soothing. He is nearly 13 weeks and has only started really using this as a form of soothing in the past two weeks or so. Before that he would occasionally use my boob as a soother, particularly at night. He still does every now and then but I don't feel as if he needs it as a form of comfort any more.

It may be worth hanging in there to see if another form of soothing puts in an appearance. Young babies are so changeable - nothing stays the same from one day to the next, I found.
  • Thanks girls - I'm going to try all these things. He's currently asleep with a muslin, so hopefully he may start to use that for comfort instead.

Thanks for all your help!!
  • Jacob is 6 weeks old now and still uses me as a comforter to fall asleep. I haven't done anything about it yet, but think I might also try the closer to nature dummy.