Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

No No Foods...? & some genral help please!

I'm just wondering what No No's there are for affecting your milks flavour?

My baby girl has become really fussy recently & I don't know if it's something i've eaten that's up set her.. I don't think i've changed my diet - but you know sometimes you eat without giving it much thought!

Also she keeps breaking her latch!?

& has been screaming most evenings.. for hours!! I have given her cooled water with infant gaviscon (on Dr's say so) , dentiox or bonjella as she is chewing her hand (which seems to settle her for a few mins), teething powders, A tiny little bit of calpol as I was worried she was suffering with a pain. She has no trouble bringing up winds - burps like a man - :lol: sometimes I have to take a second look to make sure it wasn't OH! I gave her a massage last night which gave us & her an hours peace but off she went again..

I just can't work out what it is she is trying to tell me! What am I missing? Why is she so unsettled & tearful? x

Replies

• It sounds like it could be teething to me. Barney was like that when he was cutting his first teeth. Sucking makes their teeth hurt more which is why they keep letting go, but then they are hungry so they just get crosser and crosser!! Hopefully if you just stick with her for a day or two the teeth should settle down and she should go back to normal.
    xx
  • Thank you! .. Now just trying to not worry myself about when the tooth is cut! lol x
  • I agree it could be teething.

Don't worry about the tooth coming through! I worried about feeding a baby with teeth, but honestly it's fine. They usually get two bottom ones first, and they can't bite you with them without biting themself first, as their tongue is over them, which they won't do. And even when they get the top ones I think I only got caught once - when the little monkey was laughing so struggling to stay latched on so he held on with his teeth! I only breastfed til 8 months but my lo had 7 teeth by then - when I saw the first at 4 months I dreaded the feeding but it really never was a problem!
    My HV said if they do bite, don't react as they think it's funny and a game - just remove her from the breast and latch her back on again, and she'll soon learn not to do it.

Oh, and my lo was inconsolable just before his first 2 teeth, but after that they weren't too bad - so please don't worry you'll have to go through this with every one x

[Modified by: *Sunflower81* on December 05, 2009 11:21 PM]

• I did a post about curry etc (prob on page 2 or 3 by now) which was entitled "FAO anyone who's been breastfeeding a while" - you might find the replies helpful.

How old is your baby? When my LO was 8 - 12 weeks she would cluster feed, breaking off all the time and crying....but as you mention teething it sounds yours is older than that. x
  • I had chinese takeaway the other weekend and noticed that Beth was really sick the next day. Could have been pure coincidence but I won't be risking it again. It wasn't just milk posseting but proper curdled, smelly sick. Horrible!

• i ate cumberland sausage when feeding Ollie and he wouldnt feed for almost 12 hours - we ended u in hospital because we couldnt figure out why and thats when they sussed that it was what i'd eaten...

some of the more general foods that can cause upset to baby are onions, spices and herbs, dairy, alcohol (say like red wine in spag bol or something - I'm not suggesting you're drinking lol), there are more but I'm struggling to think of them at the moment... sorry.

it could be teething though - try astons and parsons, and teething gel about 15 mins before a feed (if poss, if not just before it)

xxx