Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feeding too often?

Hi everyone, I am after a bit of advice. Cara is 15 weeks now and is still pretty much EBF (she now has a taste of puree each day, but this does not replace a breastfeed at all). I am finding it difficult with the amount of times per day that she wants to feed. an example is this: 6.30am, 8.30, 10, 11.30, 2.00pm, 4.30, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then 10pm, off to bed and finally up at 3am. I let her eat as much as she likes at each sitting and never cut her short, but I find this routine very tiring and restrictive. sometimes when she is feeding later in the day, its like she is fighting me, and does not always seem very satisfied, even though she always falls asleep when eating and i have o keep wakin her up!

has anybody else had anything like this? is it normal? am i producing enough milk?

all advice appreciated as i am exhausted, and my back is killing me!

Lisa

Replies

• Hi

Toby is 16 weeks and I BF on demand. He is a bit all over the place but yesterday was 7:15, 11:20, 3:15, 7pm, 11pm, 3am and then first feed today was 6:30am.

Feeding roughly 4 hourly is pretty new, before that he was every 3 hours like clockwork, including through the night (ie 10pm, 1am, 4am, 7am). Now I never know what each day will bring!

I would not worry at all about not being on any sort of routine schedule, ie 3 hourly or 4 hourly. But every hour does seem like a lot and must be exhausting for you. Are you sure she is actually feeding every time? When Toby used to feed all the time I realised that he was actually sucking for comfort, and introduced a dummy which worked wonders. Otherwise he would be on me all the time!! If she is really hungry and not just wanting to suck she will let you know!

Otherwise it may be that she is just a "little and often" kind of girl in which case I would just go with it for a bit longer and see what happens naturally?

Sorry not much help!!

C image
  • i think its pretty normal for breast fed babies to feed this way both my sons have fed like this and it is exhausting but it does get easier as they get a bit older i found. My youngest is 6 months now and over the last few months it has slowly got much easier.
  • Hi,
    Sorry i can't really offer advice but just wanted to say im in exactly the same boat with my 6 week old son - those times are spot on to our 'routine', it feels like he's snacking in the evening little and often and i feel all's i do on a night time is feed and wind! I've heard growth spurts happen at 3weeks, 6-8weeks and then 3 months so maybe we're both victim to hungry, growing babies!? xx
  • thanks for all of your replies, its nice to know that I am not alone in this! I had hoped the feeding would have settled down after the magic 6 weeks i kept hearing about, but no such luck it seems!

Lisa x
  • Hiya.

I'm not in a routine nor do I strive for one but I put a stop to the all evening snacking by introducing a no sleep after 5pm rule, at which time I do a session of energetic play, followed by a massage and chat, then a bath, then into pyjamas and feed, plus reading to her (not that she pays much attention) if she's still awake and not too grouchy, then I put her in her moses basket (currently in the living room with us as she's not in her own room yet) and she now sleeps from 7 or 8 until we wake her for her 11pmish feed.

I think this comes from Gina or is adapted from Gina (never read that stuff myself) - a friend suggested it. ANyway it totally works for us and has stopped the all evening grouchiness and on off feeding. I hope things get better for you - it was only after 6 weeks that things started to settle down for me and now at 12 weeks we're finally exclusively BFing and totally in the groove.

Best of luck,

Rx