Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

is bf enough in this weather?

I know it might sound like a silly question after I have already had two children but they were bottlefed.

When I had them and it was hot I used to give them boiled cooled water in their bottle. With my son though I am breastfeeding and not using bottles atall. But should I still be giving him bottled water or will breastmilk be thirstquenching enough for him? I know he will be hydrated enough with the breastmilk just not quenched?

Maz & Kieran 12 days x

Replies

• The beauty of breast milk is it's perfect for this kind of weather - it's food and drink! IDEAL! image
  • Thankyou Maximum+1 image xx
  • I went to Singapore when my ds was 5 months and all the mw said to me was that he might feed a little more often if he needs more.

Also said its fine to give him boiled cooled water if I wanted to.
    I did give him a little water in a cup but found that he was happy enough with just the bf. I was over there for 3 weeks as well.

Trust me your lo will let you know what they want. image

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/08m4.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev278pr___.png

• my lo seems to be feeding little and often today and seems perfectly content i suppose it depends if you can feed the whenever they want if you have a school run other kids etc it might be easier to offer the water
  • yeh, when i am out and about and not wanting to sit for a whole feed i give my lo a doidy cup of cooled boiled water image
  • Glad someone posted this, Ive struggled today, LO has seemed a little more unsettled than usual and he didnt really sleep at all, just a couple of 10 mins.

He ended up having an extra feed today and i dont know if its the weather or coz i dropped his 10pm feed last night. He usually gets up around 7.30-8.30am and has 4 feeds in the day and i wake him at 10pm for a feed. Last night i didnt wake him and he still slept till 7am but as i said he has had an extra feed today.

Have all the babies been having extra feeds today? Just dont know whether to wake him tonight or leave him again. I just dont want to unsettle him through the day

Gemm x
  • My LO is older than yours, he's 5mths and weaning, and I've given a little cooled boiled water for the first time today. I had a terrible night with him last night and wonder whether he was thirsty. He only took 1oz water but I'm still hoping it improves his sleeping. I'm sure it doesn't help that his room is 27deg!

Liz & Eddison 22+2 x
  • Not had my LO yet, but my antenatal breastfeeding counsellor said that it hot weather your breatmilk becomes more watery so it naturally adjusts - may still mean you need to breastfeed more to get it into them though!
  • breastmilk is magic, in summer it changes to more watery foremilk to quench thirst,offer the breast a lot, please dont offer water it really fills them up and then they will take less breastmilk which is what they need more of untill 6 months x