Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Help with latch and positioning

Ryan is now 4 and a half weeks old and still not latching on properly, think i've got positioning all wrong. I'm trying to follow all the advice, videos, diagrams but I just can't get him to take enough breast in his mouth. I've spoken to the hv who said to go to the support group, I've rung the national breastfeeding helpline who said to go to the suppot group, I've been to two support groups and seen 2 bfing counsellors, one was fab bit he didn't want to feed while we were there, the other, well seemed irritated I'd interrupted her lunch and then seemed to be annoyed that I stayed so long (took a friend with me, so not just me being oversensitive) and she basically said we've pretty much got it right, just that he was too far across my body, but then cos he got agitated with us trying to reposition him she just said put him on the way you normally do.

I've tried to adjust our positioning, but even when I put him to the breast before he's hungry he just gets agitated and frustrated that he can't get on it quick enough. The next support group (with the good counsellor) isn't until Thursday night and to be honest I don't think I'll still be bfing by then. My nipples are so sore and missing a gouge out of one, the other breast constantly feels like it's burning. Im not sure if it might be thrush. We both are getting so distressed at each feed and he never seems satisfied after. I'm at my wits end (again).

Does anyone know where else you can turn to for help? x

[Modified by: kayssis on 31 May 2010 11:09:41 ]

Replies

• Here is a good website with latching instructions. http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/When Latching.asp Dr jack Newman is one of the worlds leading breast feeding experts! there are also so links to videos.
    The support group should have a help line. Could you phone the labour ward or your midwife or health visitor and ask for advice and if they know where to get support NOW!
    The La leche league have a support helpline http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/about/helpline.htm
    do try to stick with it till thursday if all else fails and if you start felling unwell it maybe you have mastits and you need to see the doc. But don't let him tell you you have to stop feeding this is the worst thing you can do for mastitis but a lot of docs still recommend it?
    best of luck to you. xx
  • Thsnks hun, have been on jack newmans site, he's fab, just wish I lived in california to go see him! The hospital were pretty useless with bfing and discharged us with me syringe feeding him and no direction to go for help. My midwife discharged us a fortnight ago and my hv a bit of a drip when it comes to bfing...I asked for help before and she wanted to do a mood assessment for pnd as I was down because we've been struggling so much. I have managed to find contact details for the bfing co ordinator so going to try and get in touch with her tomorrow if I have no luck with the hv at the baby clinic in the morning.l will try la leche league if I don't get anywhere with them, but think I really need to see someone as so far talking about it hasn't got me anywhere. I don't want to give up and hopefully can make it to thursday, but struggling to see through the fog at the moment.
    I did think it mightve been the beginning of mastitis on saturday and managed to see the out of hours doc who gave me a prescription for antibiotics but said to hold off starting them until a lump came up. Google since had suggested thrush may be the culprit, burning pain post feed, shooting pain during feed and shiny red areola?

• Hi hun gc from ttc after berevament i breast fed both my boys for 3 yaers each so hopefully i can help u out firstly u need to get yrself a savoy cabbage and put it in the fridge for a while then put it inside yr bra on yr breasts , yes i know sounds silly but really works takes toxins out of ur breasts and the heat too ,
    secondly get yrself comfy if yr not comfy nor will thr baby be comfy ,
    the baby has to have all the areola in there mouth so there tonge can stimulate the milk supply dont let the baby get too warm take feet out of baby grow or they just go sleep and then air gets in the breast so nipples tyhen happen ,
    i'd also wait till the baby is really hungry then he'll be easier to get on , try not to stress about it or it will affect yr milk yr doing greart and yr hv should be more surportive , hope this help[s a little if u want to chat i'm on the other foram anytime i dont mind good luck dont forget cabbage love vicki x
  • It does sound like it might be thrush so you need to make an appointment to see the doc. Breastfeeding can be hard enough without the pain of thrush or mastitis! But in the mean time try the cabbage leaves.
    If you phone the LLL they may have someone local who could come out and see you. I am a peer supporter and if i was on call i would go out if someone needed me!!

This is my biggest rant!! how little support there is for breastfeeding moms!! I can not believe they let you out of hospital syringe feeding!! Then they wonder why soooo many moms give up in the first few weeks??

P.S I have seen Jack Newman (he can to talk in the uk last month) and he is FAB!
    xx
  • Thanks so much for taking time to reply girls, really appreciate the advice. We've got through today so far, he's only fed for 5-10mins each time and then I've had to give him a big top up, but at least he's still been on the boob.
    I've got my cabbage in the fridge, had kind of given up on it but will get it out again tonight.
    I never realised lll might be able to get someone out to see me, will definitely be calling them tomorrow if have no success with the hv again at baby clinic. Gotta try and get an emergency appt at the docs, Im definitely thinking it is thrush now as he's coming off the breast so distressed...no wonder if he's got a sore little mouth- feel so guilty and helpless.

They basically kicked me out! Said I wanted to have feeding established first and the midwife said no you're going home today, asked how I was meant to feed him and she said well you have to make sure he's eating! Go to a bfing support group if you want- the next one was 5days away, no wonder he lost 12% of his bw in 3days! The midwife was happy once he started putting weight back on, but think that was down to the top ups. I so don't want to give up but struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel at the mo xx