Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Does this sound like it's going well?

Hi ladies,

Just after some advice. Im a new mummy with a 3 day old. Baby is feeding every 2 hours for up to an hour. Im exhausted!! Does this sound right? When can i expect him to go longer between feeds? I need some light at the end of the tunnel?!xx

Replies

• hey hun fiorstly congratulations on your lo and well done for breast feeding.Just wanna say there is a light at the end of the tunnel hun,the 1st 6-8 weeks are the toughtest when u r both learning the new skill and your baby goes through growth spurts but i promise u it does settle down and u will soon be into some kind of a routine.Your lo is still so young and its tummy is so tiny that they need to feed often.Has your milk come in yet hun?this usually happens somewhere between day 3 and 5 and baby will be satisfied for longer on it.You will also find that when your lo gets more efficient at feeding the time it feeds for will be alot less.Hope i have helped and well done,the early days r hard but so woth it.Grace is still breastfeeding 10 mths on and we have found it to be a wonderful experience xxxx
  • Pixiebob, it will get better, I think I had a week of 2 hour feeds (she now goes 3 hours in the day but 6 hours at night at 12 weeks) with my LO and remember it being hell. I think it is fairly common in the first few weeks and if you can survive it, it is well worth it. Believe me when I say the first 2 weeks are the worse, make sure you're napping when he does, sod the housework it will wait. Make sure you're eating and drinking enough too as that could affect your milk supply. And remember the mosre stressed you are the harder it makes it, I know it's hard but try to relax a bit and it will all click into place eventually. The thing that got me through the first few weeks was the thought that it WON'T last forever!
    Hope this helps and I'm thinking about you.
    xxx
  • i hun congrats on your little one and well done for deciding to bf!!!
    what you have said sounds complely normal, it can be hard in the begginging and all you seem to do is feed, but honestly as the others have said it does get better. normaly by around 6 weeks they will have settled into a more regular pattern and will go a bit longer between feeds, normaly about 3 hours. also they will take less time to feed as they become more efficient at it.
    Also if your little one is only 3 days old then your milk probably isnt in yet, babies can feed almost constantly inthe first few days as they are trying to make your milk come in and get suply and demand going, as the more they feed the more milk you will produce.
    stick at it hun, bf is such a rewarding experience which gets easier and easier as time goes on, soon it will be second nature to both of you. xxxx
  • Aww hun, I remember how hard those first few days were- you have my sympathy! It is normal, but it really will get easier as time goes on. For me the first 2 weeks were really tough but after that she spaced her feeds out more and also got quicker at feeding.

In the meantime, make sure you are focusing on keeping the feeding going and looking after yourself. Get your oh to do all the nappies, cooking, cleaning etc and sleep when the baby does. And if you have visitors they should be looking after you- definitely not the other way round!

Good luck, and hang on in there- it WILL get easier.
  • Thankyou all for your words of encouragment.

My milk's now in-OUCH!! But also horray as he's feeding every 2 hours for 10-15mins a feed. Im now a little worried that this isn't long enough but we're getting big old dirty nappies after every feed.

Im also now napping during the day which has helped me mentally although the relentless visitors aren't helping!x
  • Sometimes you just have to be strict with the visitors. Pretend you're in hospital and set visiting hours.

I found that I was able to increase the amount of time LO fed for by changing her nappy when she fell asleep on the nipple and swopping her over onto the next breast. I also woke her regularly (every 3 hours) during the day to make sure she didn't get day and night mixed up. She is now 13 weeks and has been sleeping from 10pm to 6 am for nearly 3 weeks - yay! (probably jinxed it now - LOL).

Good luck,
    H xx