Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

stopping breastfeeding

hiya, jus wondering if you girls can help me. my lo is now 5 months and i feel that i have breastfed for a long time, longer than i had intended to. its not that i dont enjoy breastfeeding because ido, but i want to get back to my life and college etc with out worrying about being late home to feed lo. how would you go about swapping breast to bottle, as i have tried but failed, everytime i ask health visitor she doesnt help as she wants me to carry on feeding myself.
was hoping someone could offer me some advice please?
thank you for anyone that is willing to contribute their ideas xxx

Replies

• It's bloody awful of your health visitor not to help you!!! Have you tried expressing milk and feeding lo that way but apparently its better to get someone else to do most of the first feeds with a bottle because otherwise lo knows your breast is there and wants it. Do you still have your midwife's number? I bet she would help you if your hv isn't.
  • I used the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles when I was stopping breastfeeding (at 9 weeks). I also got my OH to feed my lo to get him used to milk coming from other people. I gradually cut out breast feeds over 2 weeks and expressed a little if I was getting sore. It took him a couple of feeds to get used to it but after that he had no problems.

Good luck with the weaning.
    xx
  • hey thanks girls, i have got the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles so will give them a go. we have tried formula but she wont take it, so i will try and express and give that in the bottle, will get oh to feed her as she knows i can feed her myself. hopefuly this works. thanks for the replies, ill let you know how it goes xxx
  • hey thanks girls, i have got the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles so will give them a go. we have tried formula but she wont take it, so i will try and express and give that in the bottle, will get oh to feed her as she knows i can feed her myself. hopefuly this works. thanks for the replies, ill let you know how it goes xxx