Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I've had to quit - after 19 months!!

Hi
I'm absolutely devastated that I've had to stop breast feeding. Ben is 19 months old now and I just stopped feeding him last week.
When Ben was a baby he fed very frequently, I had mastitis 3 times, thrush once and had numerous blisters on my nipples. I was close to quitting so many times but we got through it and I am so proud of my achievements.
My plan was to feed him til he was about 2 (which I know is only a few months away).
Anyway about a fortnight ago I went into hosp for a routine op and it was an overnight stay so I thought no prob I'll just take my faithful breast pump with me and when I come out we'll continue as normal. Well the operation was unsuccessful and I had a lot of probs afterwards and I had to go back in last wk to have the op re-done. It failed again and I have come out on 2 lots of tabs both of which are incompatible with breast feeding so I've had to stop.
I feel that I've totally let him down. For the 1st few days he was crying, refusing to take the formula and pulling at my top to get at my boobs. Now he seems ok. He points and gets excited when my oh comes in with his beaker of milk so I know he's gonna be ok it's just me who's got the problem. I wanted to stop feeding when I chose to not when somebody told me I had to. I just feel everything I went through to succeed has been a waste of time. I'm so upset that I'm never going to get to breast feed my little boy again.
I'm just looking for a bit of advice on how to look after my boobs!!!
It's been a week and a day since I last fed and my boobs are still very hard and lumpy and painful to touch. I'm keeping a close eye on them for signs of mastits but I tohught that it would've only taken a few days for my milk to dry up. Apparently not!!
Thanks for reading.
Vic xx

Replies

• Oh hun, don't feel bad about having to stop. You have done such an amazing job feeding him for as long as you have and it's not your fault that you've had to stop now. I am sure your lo would rather have a healthy mummy and a beaker of cows milk than a poorly mummy! Having to stop now does not make what you have done a waste of time, you have given your lo the best start possible and you should be really proud of yourself. I had to stop feeding at 10 1/2 months as Millie just didn't want it any more so you have done way better than I managed!

I'm afraid I can't give you much advice about your milk drying up, I don't think my supply was ever that brilliant as I just stopped without any problem, but please don't feel bad
    Kerry
    xxxx
  • Hi, don't feel bad - you've done really well & atleast it's not your LO rejecting the boob like mine did...I'd just mastered feeding lying down in bed with the morning feed but as that was the last BF & the rest were formula my LO rejected my boob & downed a bottle, I was gutted but yours has been totally out of your control & as Bedhead says it is better to have a healthy mummy etc.
    Re milk supply, I have heard that Sage reduces your milk, I think you can get sage tea? Try Googling sage & BF'ing.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Hi Vic as the others had said there is no way on earth that you should feel bad about stopping having fed your lo for 19 months!!!! Instead you should just feel so proud of yourself.
    It sounds as if you are mainly upset about being forced to stop before you were ready which is completely understandable but although it sounds like your lo was loving his breastfeeds he might have stopped at any time too which still might have been before you were ready. I think when you have fed for that wrong it is always going to be sad when you stop whatever the reason.
    I am still feeding my 3rd at 15 months and don't want to stop yet either so hope she carries on. I have also had several bouts of mastitis with each baby and me and lo both get thrush quite often too so I am also a bit nervous about finally stopping and how to do it. My daughter still has 5 or 6 feeds a day and I'm too scared to cut any out because I still do get lumps if she doesn't feed.
    You will find that you still have milk for months although it won't take that long for your breasts to go back to normal - but after my 1st I could still express some out about 8 months later (just out of interest in the shower!).
    Go and treat yourself to some sexy bras and enjoy wearing vest tops for the summer! x
  • you shouldnt feel bad, you have given your lo th best start in his life.
    19 months is an amazing acheivement, and it means the world to you and to your lo, so was not a waste.

I'm so sorry the choice wasnt yours, and can only imagine how upset you must be.#

I agree about the sexy undies!
    Also, you could always have another.... (me being flippant and trying, but failing, to be funny.... ;\) )

xx