Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

couple of questions

Hi my little girl Leah is four days old and although ive done it all before there are a few things i cant remember - how much extra do i need to eat to get a good supply?(hungry all the time lol) my milk started coming in yesterday and its agony they have gone rock hard im still feeding but cant remember this happening last time when will it settle down?also she is latching on properly most of the time but just a couple of times shes nipple sucked leaving me in pain now even though shes on properly its agony for first couple of sucks should i take her off again to reposition just to check shes on properly?thanks guys i cant believe ive forgotten things my older daughter is only 17months and i bf her for 10 months it must be baby brain lol. thanks
Lin :\)

Replies

• From what i remember from the early days i think its normal for the first couple of sucks to hurt for a week or so.
    Just eat whenever your hungry, I think its an extra 500 calories and oat based foods and carbs are the best things to eat.
    My milk took 6 weeks to settle down but i did have forceful letdown so it may be different in your case.
    Hope i helped and Congrats on the birth of baby Leah!
    Gill
    xxxx
  • hi

well done for BF again. I found when I BF my 2nd my boobs filled much quicker. i think its because they remember what to do...???
    I expressed a bit off before trying to feed as if boobs are engorged its hard for baby to get a good latch. If Leah latches on wrong then just gently put your little finger in her mouth to unlatch her... then put her on again making sure she takes the areola (sp?) too... if you see her ears wagging and her jaw moving as she feeds then its a good latch. It may be your second time but its her first so give it time. If the latch is right it should not hurt too much.

Best of luck and enjoy your baby. i am so jealous...Amelia is one now and I miss the first months...

d xxxxxxxxx