Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How much EBM???

Well Alana is 4wks old today and has been exclusively breast fed until now, but hubby is going back to work at the end of this wk and I really want him to beable to feed her when he gets back from work as does he. (up until now he has been content he is doin his bit and getting in some quality time by helping at night and winding her but this wont be so easy when he is back at work)

Any way iv been expressing and storing in the freezer so we thought we would try her today with her first bottle. After a bt of fussing to begin with she took the bottle beautifully.

She only took 2oz. I have no idea how much she shoudl take but I expressed while she fed and I got 6oz (and think I could have got another oz or 2 except the cup only held 6 ozLOL)

Can people share their expriences with the amount of EBM their newborns take

Thanks

Looby and ALana (4wks)

Replies

• I have only ever fed my baby expressed BM and at 4 weeks he was taking around 3oz every 2-3 hours. He was a 10lb baby with a big appetite though.

HTH xx
  • As a guide to what to offer in expressed milk - you should half thir lb weight and offer that in oz's SO if your lo is 8lb6oz you would offer 4oz of EBM - I usually chucked an extra oz in just incase he wanted more but I can only remember once that he drained the bottle normally there was an oz or more left but it was a good general guide!
  • Thanks ladies.

She only went 2 and hlaf hrs after her bottle so dont think she quite had enough but she fell asleep, think I might of warmed it a bit too much and it made her too cosy. Going to try it a tad cooler today and see what happens X