Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Expressing

Can anyone give me some advice about expressing? Peter is 8 weeks and exclusively breastfed. He takes the occasional bottle of breast milk, mainly as a supplement, but I am hoping to be able to reach a point where I can give him a full feed or more so that I can have the occasional evening off. However, I am having a few of problems.

a) I don't seem to get very much milk from expressing. The most I have ever managed is about 3.5 oz off of both breasts from about an hour. Normally I get 1-2 oz. I have lots of frozen bags which I can combine later, but I am worried that if I need to be away for more than one feed there simply won't ever be enough. Peter currently weighs 12lb. 5oz. so I am pretty sure he is getting more than an ounce or two at each feed. I just don't know how to improve my let down when expressing.

b) I can express off both breasts with my manual pump, although it is exhausting and takes ages. With my swishy new electric pump I can express just fine off my right breast but am getting nothing at all off my left. Peter feeds just fine off of that side, so it isn't a supply problem. Do I keep trying and for how long? Or do I just express off of the right and feed off the left? (I have had two goes of mastitis on the left already so don't want to overstimulate with no result.)

c) When do you express? I know first thing in the morning is good but I just can't seem to find the time. I usually wake when Peter demands his first feed of the day. I then get him (and me) dressed and he will be awake and alert but this only lasts long enough for me to have breakfast before he needs to be played with/carried/fed again. I don't have the hands to deal with him and the breast pump and I simply can't seem to fit in time to express unless he is up very early and goes back to sleep (this is happening less and less). This pattern tends to repeat itself during the day. He does have naps but it is never right after a feed and if it is a long one I really need to take advantage of it to nap myself as I am up in the night to feed him.

Any advice on any (or all) of these issues would be hugely appreciated. I really need to figure out something in the next couple of months or I suspect I won't get a night out until he is weaned. :\(

Replies

• In respect to point 1 above, the more you express the more milk you will get out. Sometimes I have been able to get
    6 oz from both breasts. babies are more efficient than any pump so your baby will be taking more milk than you think or express. re being away for more than one feed, you will need to express at some point to avoid engorgement, in respect to frozen milk it can be defrosted in warm water but no idea how long it will take. Dh feeds lo the bottle at night whilst I express.

Point 2 - I would keep trying to express off your left, not sure why no milk will come out, but suggest no more than 10 mins to avoid over stimulation. I guess you could try this first and if it doesn't work, feed from that breast and express from the other.#

Point 3 - I have expressed at night when lo is having her bottle so I don't get engorged overnight. You are supposed to express when you are meant to feed. Sometimes I do it in the morning as well, but always find I get more out at night. It probably depends on individual. If I need to express in the morning (to make up feed for that night's bottle), I express at same time as feeding, but putting lo under my arm (rugby ball hold) on a pillow and pump on the other. I sit on the couch where I have loads of room to support lo.

How long did it take you to get over your mastistis? Were you on antibotics? Reason I ask is cos I have mastitis now image

Good luck
  • Thanks so much for the advice. I will try expressing at night (must just get oh to feed him more regularly), especially now that we have moved his bed time forward so I have a little time to myself in the evenings. And will keep trying with the left breast. It is really odd as he is quite clearly getting plenty of milk out himself (I can hear it!) Might have a word with the counselor about it next week.

As for the mastitis, yes, I am on antibiotics. They cleared the pain and swelling up after about 24 hours and I am hoping that, now that the crack in my nipple is starting to heal, this course will be the last lot I have to take. Not pleasant. You have my complete sympathy. I hope yours clears up very soon.