Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weight Gain

Was just wondering in the early weeks how much weight did your little ones gain each week?

I'm a bit paranoid that my 4 week old hasn't gained much weight....hv coming tomorrow, so then we'll know for sure!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

xxx

Replies

• Breast fed babies are always slower to gain but that's fine. As long as you are feeding regularly (no longer than 4 hrs) and he is settled and alert there is rarely a prob.
  • Completly agree with Camlo. My lo's have always gained slowly but have wet nappies, alert, feed regularly and are happy so ive never worried. remember also that the weight gain charts in the red book are based on a formula fed baby so if your bf then they often drop a centile or 2 but its nothing to worry about, just that there is less fat in b milk xx
  • This week I got my HV to give me the correct chart for a BF baby, it may be worth asking for one at your next weigh-in. I'd been worried because Teagan was all over the place on the FF chart but she's actually following the line on the BF chart. Might save you worrying about his weigh gain if you could get one?

Corinna x