Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

How much to express for 1 feed?

I am wanting to express some milk for my lo's mid morning feed but am completely clueless on how much to do? He feeds normally for about 15-20mins (if that) on that feed.

Does anyone have any ideas how much would be enough?

Replies

• It depends on his weight. My HV says it would be the same as if he was on formula.
  • Hi Nicospoon

He is quite a big boy as the last weigh in, he was 18lb 4oz but I expect that is a bit more now as that was about 3 weeks ago!

Louise xx
  • My health visitor told me as a guide you divide the lb's bit of their weight in half so if he was 18lb then 9oz would be enough to have - I was asking with regards to leaving a bottle with a baby sitter so I obv wouldn't be around so she then said to add an extra oz in case. Thats not to say that lo would actually necessarily take it all but its a good guide I have found!
  • it does also depend on their age and how much theyve been having previously (difficult if you dont know due to bf)

generally a babies stomach is small and will only take what they need, at birth its about half an oz, 1 month about an oz, 2 months around 2 oz, 3 about 3 oz...... at 4 months its usually around 4-5 oz. (this is an average, bigger/smaller babies may be able to take more or less etc...)
    if you give them more and they take it you could possibly then stretch the stomach and they will want more again next time, which could be a problem as then your breast would not produce the same amount as in the previous feed.... (does that make any sense?)

so i would say go off the weight but also off their age. you can either give lots and if its drunk its drunk, or if its not drunk throw it away, or you can split it into about 4 oz feeds and give another one if needed.....

its entirely up to you really.

xxxxx
  • hiya just express as much as you can, he will only take as much as he wants!
  • Thank you for your replies.

I had originally heard that babies still need approx a pint of milk a day so as I give Kade 4 feeds a day, that would make an average of 1/4pint a time but haven't a clue what that is in oz or even if that's right?

I think my best bet will be to express as much as poss then just trial & error?

Thanks again xx