Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how and when to stop

hi all, i was planning to stop feeding chloe when shes a year and can have cows milk. like most i had an idea in my head it wasnt very nice feeding past a certain age. my mum fed me til i was 18mths and i thought it was gross. but now i dont think i ever want to stop, even though several times recently iv said im not doing it any more coz of her bitting, but i cant imagine not doing it. how do you switch over, she wont take bottles from me and she knows exactly what she wants. when i pick her up during the night il try to kiss her but she just throws her self at the boob. shes even started to switch sides by her self when shes done. if i stopped now i would just feel like i was with holding the thing she wants most. will this change in time or is it hard.

sian

ps she is 9 months so still have a few months til shes 1

Replies

• Hi Sian,
    I was planning to stop when Rhianna was six months.....and here we are, she's nearly 9 months (will be on Sunday), still bfeeding!!! She will not have a bottle. No way. And I'm evil for trying (her opinion, not mine!) We use Hipp Organic Follow on to mix up with her breakfast - I've tried it in a bottle but she just attacks the teat with a scary amount of aggression for one so young with only two little toothy pegs. She will swallow whatever milk goes in while she's attacking - which is an improvment on any other formula which was just allowed to dribble out of her mouth and down her front.
    I swing from really wanting to stop (privacy, people's opinions, freedom etc) to not really being bothered (convenience, closeness, laziness lol!!).
    What date was your little girl born? Ours must be pretty close?
    Anyway, I'd love to hear how you get on, and any advice you've got!!
    Sarah xxx
  • Me again!
    Just read the 'slow weight gain' post on here - Rhianna weighed 17lbs 5ozs at her 8 month check........HV was great though - I took my Mum with me for support ready for the whole 'underweight' attack, but it never came....she said clearly Rhianna is a dainty one, healthy, up to speed with her development and seems very happy indeed - I was gobsmacked image Did you get a positive reaction? xxx
  • hiya sarah, chloe was born on 15th oct. she will take a bottle from other people but not if im about and she could choose or during the night. i was just on the phone to my mum about it and she said she stopped at 18mths because i didnt need it then and when if was for comfort it was easier to comfort me with something else because i was a bit older. guess i will just have to see, i think there at an akward age to make changes that big as threre old enough to have there own opinions about what they want. especially if you take something away from her, she really tells you off. lol. have you tried cows milk? i dont want to use any formula and finding it hard to express at this late stage so hv said its ok to give the odd bottle of cows milk, its not got all the vitamins needed but as long as she has a good diet and its not all the time its fine, so thats what i have done if iv left her with her dad when iv gone out (to the sales lol).
  • Hi i have bf all 3 of my children the first fed until she was 30 months!!!! She was addicted and i did not know how to stop, i think i was too soft and gave in too easily for a quiet life.She eventually stopped herself because in that time i had had my 2nd so went straight to feeding him, he was not so bothered and fed him for 12 months. He just stopped waking at night for feeds and did not want it in the day. My 3rd fed until she was 20 months and we only stopped because i had to have some medication so that forced the issue actually it was very easy i Just stopped that night put her down with no feed and gave her a cuddly and she just went off to sleep and to my surprise did not wake all night . So those are my experiences maybe this will help, i hope so good luck.
  • emmajt, sound likeit will happen when it ment to then.

sarah, i hadnt taken chloe to get weighed for 4 months bofore her 8mth check and 3 mths before that. coz shes my second i dont see the point in looking at the measurement when i know my baby is happy and healthy, i wasnt thins confident last time though so had formula on and off from day one so the switch at 5 mths to bottle wasnt an issue then. my hv is really good and didnt say a thing about her weight anyway. how is your l/o sleeping, since chloe started teething at 5 mths she has been a night mare waking every 3-4 hours in the night. im exhausted.
  • 30 months! Wow, I'm not sure I could make it that far! Well done image

Sian, I hadn't had Rhianna weighed for about the same period of time either, I've got a little boy (well not so little!) of 10 - I put myself under so much pressure bfeeding him that I gave up at 5 months too - spooky!?!?!? My usual HV isn't that nice, I'm glad it was a different one to do her 8 month check. I've never got on with expressing and so haven't had a break from Rhianna for more than 1 1/2 hours - which was the other week when I went to college and my Mum looked after her, it was breakfast time so Rhianna got on ok with her Hippabisc and Follow on Milk, had a walk and a play so didn't miss me at all. My OH is useless with her, I feel he using me feeding her as an excuse not to try too hard with keeping her occupied so I never get time to myself - in fact I'm more than a little fed up at the moment!

It sounds like Chloe knows her own little mind, Rhianna is very much like that, there is no kidding her when it comes to refusing to feed her, it's embarrassing when you're out because it's SOOOO obvious what she's after. She was born 27th October. Do you have any problems with finding clothes for Chloe? We get on fine with most things, sometimes waists are a bit big though! She's in 6-9 months for some things but just had to buy bigger jeans 9-12, they are a bit long okay with a little turn up. People do comment on her being small for her age, but she is perfectly formed and doing everything she should be doing at this age - if not a bit more!!!

I did think about going onto cow milks, but Rhianna's not over keen on meat in her food so I decided to go for the follow on milk because it's not some added iron and vitamins.

She got her two bottom teeth about a month ago. She fed loads when she was teething, to be honest she's a bit of a snacker anyway - but I was totally wiped out...you're not alone in that respect!!! We put her down around 8.30 and she wakes about 4.30 for a feed then gets up around 8.30. That's a good night though!! xxxx
  • hi all

a breast fed till my daughter was 16 months it was hard because all she wanted was breast and she would not take a bottle or beaker from me but would from oh so we decided when she wanted milk i would leave the room and go do something while oh gave her the milk and it work but one down fall we had was she wanted a dummy all the time she never had one till we stoped breast feeding but she found a pack and managed to open it now we can't get her off that.