Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast to trainer cups...how and when???????

Amelia is my 5th but only 3rd to be BF. The 2 I bf I did so till 6 months then slowly on to bottles ! However they are now 2 and a half and 4 and the younger one wants bottles 3 times a day still. My 4 year old wants half bottle of milk on night to go to bed with. I really hate seeing them with bottles and want to stop Amelia doing this.

I am planning to BF her till one year old and then onto beaker. Has anyone done this? how and when? I just dont want another baby addicted to bottles.

Also, do they get addicted to boob as I really want to stop at one year old. I just think by then I will want to get my life back on track and get fit and get my boob job!!!!!!!!!!!! (seriously...I am desp for boob job) I dont want Jordans boobs just something IN my boobs. After 5 kids and feeding 3 of them they are empty after finished BF...like spaniels ears!!!!!! lol.. I am proud of them but I am setting a goal of losing 3 stone and then getting a nice pair of natural looking boobs!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I have strayed from the point.... advice on training cups/beakers would be much appreciated

Denise xx

Replies

• Hiya
    I still breast feed my 10month old, but weaning her off slowly to be off by 1yr. She has had a tommee tippee sippy cup from 5months (the one that does spill). I would either put water or expressed milk in it. She does brilliantly with it now. We do use a Doidy cup sometimes, but thats only when shes sitting on my lap. I do love the TT one though, liquid comes out easily, so she never gets frustrated. She never had a bottle (didn't like them) I thought she'd have to have a bottle to get to the cup, but she didn't.
    As for the addiction side, I would say it depends on you and your baby, mine hates being restricted (would eat on the run if she could) so giving up should be fine. But shes very aware of what she wants and how to get it, so I want her off me at 1yr so she doesn't know shes missing something she had, if that makes sense.
    x
  • Hey Denise,
    I'm going to be benefitting from your post as well! Can't believe I actually found another mother with a 4-year-old who needs the bottle to sleep! I just (last week) finally got rid of it and this is so embarrassing but she's almost 4-and-a-half years! I nursed her for a year. However, she's been on water in the bottle instead of milk since shortly after her third birthday.
  • Hi Dee dee

We are trying to get Marcus to try a cup at the mo for some expressed Milk as he hated the bottle even with the closer to nature teats He is a total Boob Boy:lol:

Anyway we have been gradually using a doidy cup and though he has yet to have a full feed form one he is certainly getting better with it, we have also tried with some success the tommy tippe cup, What I have done is before he is due a feed given it to him them so he isn't starving and worked up and then finished the feed off when he has started to get a bit frustrated. I probably would of waited a little bit longer ie till he was at least 6 months but I do need him to have some expressed milk as of to an evening concert next Sat and he needs to eat whilst I am gone!

Hope that helps a bit

Jillycat
  • Feel v guilty as we moved straight to cows milk which i've recently read your not supposed to do!

Really? I was told it was the best thing to do, rather than try to introduce something else into the mix of 'off bf onto something else'... What was it recommended that you do instead?

Ollies never had a problem...

We use a tommie tippie trainer beaker thing (that leaks) in the house with water in it, or an avent magic cup out of the house (dont want stuff leaking everywhere!) with juice or water in.
    We do use a doidy cup as welll, but only when hes in the high chair.

xxxx
  • Hi, I would start as early as possible. My lo started using a cup at 41/2 months and would sip water from it. He took to it straight away (whereas he wouldn't have a bottle) but took a while before he could take large amounts from it. So, if you start early she will have plenty of practice and should be a proficient cup user by 12 months! Now at nearly 10 months he gulps his water down from his cup. He hasn't had milk from it yet but I'm hoping at 12 months he will just drink his cows milk from it.
    We started on the tommee tippee easiflow cup (blue with handles) and now use the next one up which I think is also from the easiflow range. I think it must depend on the baby as to how easy they stop breastfeeding, I think alot of babies are ready to stop by then anyway. I also plan to stop feeding at 12 months. My lo's on 3 smallish bfs a day and I just plan to cut out one at a time over a few weeks and distract him with something else around feed time (hopefully oh can help with that). Good luck xx
  • thanks for all the replies and great advice. No idea though what a doidy cup is???? Where can I get one.
    She is 4 months now but age adusted she is 12 weeks so i will leave it a while for now but will start at 6 months once weaning. She will not tolerate a bottle so I am sort of glad with that as means I will never give her one which is my original plan.
    I will get some cups when home in UK for August as not much choice out here.
    karen....i just started to reduce the amount my little ones get in their bottle at night from tonight. Took a third out, tom night it will be down to half, then I gonna give them a third then water then reduce that till they not getting any. Wish me luck

d xx