Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

LO taking in too much air

my LO (5 weeks) latches on fine and is positioned correct but takes in huge gulps of air on every feed. This has left her full of wind and had loads of trouble getting it up

Are there any tips to stop her gulping air?? She is quite a greedy fast eater can i slow her down somehow?

xxxx

Replies

• my los the same she's 7 weeks and had the same problem. She ends up full of wind/ There isn't much you can do except don't leave long gaps between feeds to keep her topped up she won't need to gulp it down so fast. You can use gripe water to bring up the wind before or after each feed.

As they get older they learn not to gulp as it causes belly ache they also learn how to bring the wind up faster themselves. Kyra's learnt that she need to relax before the wind comes up and she's now very careful when drinking not to gulp it down. She doesn't have much of a problem with wind now thankfully!!

Good luck xx
  • Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm having similar problems with my lo so wanted to reply.

My lo is 2 weeks old and seems to be gulping a lot when I feed her. She is suffering from wind, which gets worse as the day goes on. I don't think we have completely stopped the wind, but we find that only feeding her when she is relaxed helps, so we don't feed her just after a bath or nappy change, which both get her quite worked up. If she has been asleep, I try to catch her just as she is waking up for a feed as well, so she is less worked up before she latches on. We also have Infacol, but not sure how much that is doing.

Since we started all that, she has been a bit better, so I'm hoping it will improve!
  • My experience using infacol has been rubbish! It doesn't seem to do anything! Gripe water is very good at bringing up the wind.
  • i was told at my antenatal classes that u dont need to wind a bf baby, but my lo gulps it down sometimes too. i'd bottle fed quite a few babies before having one of my own and didn't think that lo could gulp down my milk like a baby gulping on a bottle!

good to know that my lo is not the only one doing this!