Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Poorly mummy and baby not feeding....

Hi ladies

I have a really bad cold at the moment but baby seems okay no sniffles etc. The thing is that he is off his feeds he normally feeds for 5-10 minutes comes off gives a burp and we're done. The past two days he has been only having about 5 minutes and coming off and on about 20 times inbetween. I could understand if he had a blocked nose but he hasn't. He is a little whingy do you think he has my cold? Do I keep offering him the breast every 3 hours or wait till he is hungry but what if he gets dehydrated?

Any advice or experience would be great

Kirsten & Joe 16 weeks today!

Replies

• Options
    Is he teething at all? when babies teeth are coming through their mouths are sore and sometimes this causes them to come on and off. You could try using a warm flannel on your breast and hand expressing a little just until the milk is there ready for him to take - that way if his gums are hurting, or he is feeling a bit poorly, he hasnt got to work so hard to get it. 4 months is the age when i found DD got much nosier and kept coming off to look at everything else! But i'd say persevere and keep offereing it frequently. Hope you feel better soon!
    xxx
  • Options
    My lo comes on and off and coughs quite alot this started when she dropped from 20minute feeds to 10 minute feeds, because of the coughing i think it's that the flow of milk or how quickly she's sucking the milk out is a bit too fast for her so she has to have breaks and as this coming on and off happend at around the same time she dropped the length of feeds i've just put it down to her having perfcted her technique and my let down reflex getting better so it takes less time but she can't quite cope with how much milk she's getting.
  • Options
    Hi there, I know when i've been a bit poorly in the past it affects my milk supply - so it could be that?

Everything goes a bit haywire when either of you are ill, so my advice would be to just keep offering the breast on demand, let him feed as he likes until you or he is better.

Hope you feel better soon xxxxx