Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Supply of breastmilk when introducing formula ;o(

Hi all, can anyone offer any advice on how long it can take for your supply to stop when you start introducing formula?
I had been EBF my Lo for 15 weeks and started to introduce a bottle for his last feed of the day. This has gradually increased and he is now having 3 bottles of formula a day, one feed from me and one bottle of expressed milk. For the first few days, I was able to express about 15ozs a day, but all of sudden the amount I can express has reduced dramatically. -Yesterday I only managed 1oz all day!!!
When I started increaing the number of bottles I was giving, my boobs did get really full overnight and I could express loads in the morning. However the last 2 days, this has not happened. Does this mean my supply has already stopped and I will only be able to feed once a day? -Will I stop producing milk completely or will my body still produce if I am still breastfeeding for the 1st feed?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as I am quite sad that my supply seems to be dwindling so quickly as I would have still liked to give expressed milk in a bottle ;o(
Thanks NTT xx

Replies

• Options
    it does seem to go really fast when you start dropping feeds but you should be able to increase it again. I think the prob is that baby is better than an expresser. I had stopped the night feed for about a month then he started waking again at that time so i just started feeding again at that time!!

Hope you get some more milk again

Gemm x
  • Options
    it does seem to go really fast when you start dropping feeds but you should be able to increase it again. I think the prob is that baby is better than an expresser. I had stopped the night feed for about a month then he started waking again at that time so i just started feeding again at that time!!

Hope you get some more milk again

Gemm x
  • Options
    Gemm's right - your supply probably hasn't dwindled as much as you think but expressing just isn't as efficient. It will continue to decrease though until it is matching your LOs BFing needs. If you want to keep expressing you might just need to express more often to keep your supply up.

HTH
    Cimage