Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

night out advice

Hi ladies

I have been BF my LO for nearly 20 weeks now he has a bottle of formula in the morning from OH so can take a bottle fine.

My best friend has taken a job in Oman and is having a leaving night in a few weeks time that I really want to go to, and I know LO will take a bottle fine, but I am concerned about my supply. Will one night not feeding effect my supply?

I will do his bedtime feed then head out - at the minute he wakes once in the night so he will get a bottle and then again in the morning.

Also I plan to have a couple of drinks (no more because I havent drunk in over a year so wont take much to get me tipsy) and was wondering when it will be ok for me to feed again? how long does it take for alcohol to get out of my system?

Sorry for all the questions but havent left him for this long before x

Kelly and Alex xx

Replies

• Hey hon, I've left LO once before to go out for the evening (although not drinking mores the pity) and was out for a good few hours. I just pumped when I got back in and froze it. If you're drinking I think it takes an hour to get in and out your system and then an hour per unit it stays in so for a glass of wine leave 4 hours ish (I could be so wrong here) I would pump when you get in and then in the morning and dump it to be sure (and also to relieve your boobs - mine were huge and engorged by the time I got home), and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine to go the next feed after his morning formula.

Hope you have a great night!
  • Hi

I think in terms of alcohol, it takes 2 hours to get each unit out of you system. So for example, if you had 4 units it would be 8 hours.
    I'm pretty sure in terms of supply missing a feed one night should not effect it to much as I think it takes a few days. However for your own comfort you may want to pump when you get home so you are not to full and leak in the night. Then you should be fine to do the next feed.
    Hope you have a lovely night out. X

• Hi
    My ds is 23 weeks and I've been on a few night out (including a hen weekend). I just expressed lots before I went so my hubby could feed him in the night, then expressed when I got in, and again in the morning. Its a lot of effort but worth it. I am going out tonight and have expressed 10oz for if he wakes in the night and will feed him before I go out too, so should be fine. I will just bf as normal from tomorrow. It hasn't affected my supply.
    xx
  • thanks for the advice ladies

I am really looking forward to the night out and just want to feel comfortable about leaving LO x

All of my questions have been answered now thanks x