Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby sleeps constantly during feeds

Hello

I am new to this whole bf life as Max is nearly four weeks old but am totally confused over how to keep him awake during feeds and whether I should force feed him or will he simply take what is required.

Since the very first day Max has taken to the milk straight away with an amazing amount of force but does nod off. Because he feeds with his eyes closed and you can hear the gulps I generally miss when he falls off to sleep and then have a real job to wake him up... the mw said to blow on his cheek or make him cold but short of placing ice cubes on his back nothing seems to work,

Originally I thought things where going well, but the midwife was not happy with his weight gain so I had to express after each feed for a weekend which did increase my milk supply and max put on some wieght. I then had a lovely mw who suggested 30-40minutes on one boob and then 5-10 mins on the other. Which works and again he has put on a lot of weight but I can't keep this sleeping / waking thing up. I seem to spending all my time trying to wake him up for what is a five minute feed. If I put him back to sleep after a 10/15 mins feed he is awake within two hours again. Also if he only feeds for 10/15 mins will I start to make less milk again and have to express to up it??

Has anyone else encountered and overcome this problem. I spending all my time wondering if he is constantly dream feeding and then offering him more food everytime he cries.

Any help is massively appreicated!

Replies

• hey,

firstly, I noticed that this is your first post so welcome and congratulations! You'll find everyone on here really friendly and will help where they can.

my lo used to always fall asleep after feeding, and now does sometimes still. (She is 15 weeks now.) As she was putting on lots of weight I didn't worry. I dont think she slept for any more than two hours a time and usually woke up for more food!! Sometimes now she'll feed for 5 mins to get to sleep then will have a big feed when she wakes up!

you could try ticking his feet as I was told it stimulates the feeding reflex, I used to do this alot at night to get my lo feed more so hopefully sleep longer.

as the weeks pass the milk gets fattier so babies don't neccessarily need to feed for so long. My lo used to feed for about 45 mins at a time, now she can take 10/5 mins over a feed!! They also become better at sucking so can get more at a time!! Also, as the feed the more they feed from one side, the fattier it gets (if that makes sense??)

personally, I dont try to wake her up, I will wind her which can wake her up but then she falls asleep really quickly again!

hope I have helped in anyway, well done for getting so far, I know it is tiring in the early weeks but it does get easier!

lisa

[Modified by: lisajoy on October 27, 2008 12:23 PM]

• I've breastfed all 3 of my girls and was always told "don't feed them to sleep" but all of them have always fallen asleep most feeds and still fed successfully while sleeping.

I have found that if they fall asleep and i try to pull away while they are still latched on they start to suck again for a couple of minutes then finish on their own.

I finished bf 2 mths ago on my last baby at about 9 mths and she is still fat and happy, lol.

Good luck, Shell
  • i too would say try not to worry hun,they are clkever little things and im sure if hes hungry he will soon wake for more.You said he would wake for another feed after 2 hrs if he only feeds for a little while n falls asleep-i say that sound about right at only 4 weeks old,their tummys r so tiny that they can only store a certain amount.Has he lost weight?I do think that sometimes we can get a bit too obsessed with how muych they put on and im sure u'll find that he puts alot on nxt time hes weighed to compensate.Just a thought was he overdue when born?Apparently their weight gain can be less in the early weeks as they have put on more being overdue.Hope i may have helped a little,hanna n baby grace xxx
  • Hi there

Thanks lots for the advise. Max has gained weight since birth, after the expressing business and both boob approach, he was pretty big to begin with at 9Ib 1oz and yes a week late too. At 3 weeks he weighed 10Ib 3oz so it is going in - but during the last week things seem to have slowed down. the midwives freaked me out with it all and I could worry about this constantly as I gave up bf my first son ten years ago after he was classed as under nourished at 10 days old.

It does all make sense and I guess mother nature just makes sure it all happens...

thanks again, alex
  • hey

Congrats on birth of Max and on bfeeding.

My m/w was obssessed with the fact my lo wasnt gaining enough, however i went with my gut instinct, ie baby was having wet nappies, good colour spending time awake. My lo didnt gain much for 5 weeks then all of a sudden gained 1lb a week for 3 weeks and completly caught up.

With this lo I have a similar prob, a boob is a sure fire way to get him to sleep, i try stroking his face as that seems to make him suck although its usually whilst he is asleep.

Good luck with it xxDbxx