Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When does it stop hurting??

Hi, my history is I had my son 2 and half years ago and only breast fed for 7 days. I was in so much pain both of us cried through every feed. I just gave up and felt so guilty. I didn't ask for help which I realised afterwards I should have done but mw was actually making situation and my mental state about bf'ing worse with her 'ideas'. It turned out I had mastitis and it wasn't treated until I had a massive abcess in my boob which had to be treated at local hospital.

Fast forward to now and I had a baby girl 3 weeks ago. I told my mw about my problems feeding before and she was great and gave me extra visits to support my feeding. I am really proud of myself that I'm still exclusivly bf'ing 3 weeks on and it is going great! I have been to a bf'ing group also for support. My guilt for not getting this help to feed my ds has really returned.

Anyway my question is ... My right boob (the boob I had abcess in before) hurts more than left boob when she feeds. The nipple on that side is flatter but I massage it out before she latches on which helps a bit. 2 people have watched me feed and they say latch is ok etc. I think my nipples are just hardening up but is uncomfort normal at 3 weeks? She can go 7 hours at night so I'm full to bursting and that's when it hurts most.

Also the let down reflex has got stronger and that is quite uncomftable. I only have to think about feeding her and this weighty feeling with pins and needles type feeling - is this normal?

I feel like I should know all this but I don't - all the leaflets tell you that you get in hospital is how to latch your baby on?! And they say it shouldn't hurt!!? Um yeah .. Ok lol!

Replies

• Argh! I just replied but got an error message.

OK here goes again.

Good for you attempting BF again after negative experience last time - takes guts!

Congrats on having a baby who sleeps through- mine still doesn't at 20 weeks. Enjoy that sleep!

I found the soreness didn't go thoroughly until about 6 weeks.

I still get the strong let down feeling but it's not so bad as it only lasts a few seconds.

They say it doesn't hurt I reckn to avoid putting people off, but it's so ungelpful as you just end up really unprepared. I know lots of BFing Mums now and most had pain in the beginning.

Good luck with it all and don't worry it does get better and easier!

Rx
  • Well done on giving it another go. As for the pain thing, even if your LO is latching on correctly, it could be you just need to try and have a change of position, I had that with ds2 at around 2 weeks. I started feeding rugby ball for a day or two and problem solved.

As for the let down, i was getting major let down pain, and also its agony when i get engorged, Its one of those things that will get better, I sometimes feed in the morning and express the other side to relieve the pain, but i seem to have a lot of milk and just get very sore, especially in one side

Stick with it, you are just about there!!

Gemm x
  • Hi hun,
    This is a topic and I can kind of relate to. I had my first ds almost 14 yrs ago. Breast fed him till he was nrly 5 months, but was advised to stop by my Dr as I had mastitus constantly. Once I had finished the abtibiotics it would flare up again, was bloomin' awful, my Dr ended up telling me that if I didn't stop I would end up going down the path you did, abcess and an op.

11 weeks ago I had ds2, and I decided to bf again, was so scared, but I really wanted to give it a go again, and up untill about 2/3 weeks ago, my right boob( the one I had my probs with), seemed to be constantly hurting. Like it had been grazed and bruised badly, with some sharp stabbing pains. My left did a bit, but nothing like my right. Got worried a few times that mastitus was on its way bk, but hasn't yet, ( touch wood).
    Anywho, about 2/3 weeks ago, felt like something snapped in my breast, my boob flooded and the pain eased, I am guessing a blockage and it cleared.
    Now it's pretty much the same as the other. Can't say this is what happens, cos everyones different, but hope this helps.

xx
  • Thank you all for your replies they have been very helpful. I think what I am feeling this time is 'normal'.
    I do wish that the info you get while pregnant was truthful and says what pain/discomfort to expect. I think a lot of people give up when it hurts thinking they are doing stuff wrong because all the info you get says it doesn't hurt.
    I do understand that a bad latch/poor postioning hurts more but it is obvious that it is going to hurt a bit if your nipples are being constantly sucked etc but we need to know what is 'normal'.
    I am hoping breast feeding will get better and better and I can keep going for months now.
    Thank you to the person that said about taking it a day at a time. I am trying to do that.
    i also know from formula feeding before that ff is not an easy option - it is such a faff .... especailly trying to do bottles to take out and about with a 2 year old toddler needing attention/getting ready etc. getting my boob out whenever, wherever is much easier!!

I might try expressing soon ... but I will start a new thread on that.

Thank you all! I am sure I will be a regular on here now image