Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when can I start expressing

Hi

I am confused the midwife told me to wait til around 4 weeks but the health visitor said start next week Lily will be just over 2 weeks then.

I am really not keen on BF in public so the thought of having a bottle in the bag would make me feel so much more confident when I go out, also having my OH being able to help would save my sanity.

Any advice would be much appreaciated
Love
Helen

Replies

• I expressed from day 1 as lo was prem and tube fed - no idea why you have to hold off expressing for so long!
  • I think they recommend its 6 weeks so they dont get 'nipple confusion' but my lo had ebm from 2weeks old and we bf'd for 6months. As long as babys latch is fine and hes happy i would introduce a bottle of ebm sooner rather than later as many people who have waited their lo's have refused bottles x
  • but you could still express and build up a freezer load of stock even if you don't feed it straight off - to be honest though all me nd my friends bf and i HAD to feed bottles of expressed milk at every feed from the start (well 10 days after his tube was removed) and max NEVER had any confusion - fed breast milk from whatever he was offered (wouldn't take any other milk though!) and a couple of others gave expressed bottles early but those who waited till 6 weeks or after NEVER got them to take bottles at all! So each to there own but I know what I will be doing next time!

I still think it's worth building up a freezer stock though as this cna be hard work!
  • I would start expressing now to build up a stock, as CC says. I would also recommend introducing a bottle sooner rather than later. I first gave my ds a bottle at about 4 weeks and he found it difficult to drink from, i would offer a bottle of ebm now and then but wouldn't take it and now at 8 and a half months he'll still refuse a bottle.
  • As far as I know you can start expressing right from the word go. Some people recommend holding off actually offering ebm until 6 weeks in case of nipple confusion, but my mw said this is a myth.

I waited until 6 weeks to offer Lily a bottle of ebm and wished I'd done it sooner, as she completely refused a bottle until about 5 months old.
  • Yeah the sooner the better when introducing a bottle!!! i offered my lo a bottle of ebm at about 2months and he was fine then didnt for a few weeks and when i tried again he wouldn't take it and refused until he was nearly 9months old....
    I'm going to start expressing in the next couple of days my lo is just over 3weeks!
    xx
  • thanks for the reassurance girls! you hear so much conflicting info, I expressed this morning only got 1 oz with a manual pump but at least I can see how she takes the bottle later

Helen
    xx
  • If you want to express regularly/a lot it might be worth investing in an electric pump - I never got on with a manual could never get much but I invested in a Medela swing (it was a fair bit) but it was sooooo worth it as I got wa more and it kept me breastfeeding!
  • oh just gave the bottle she took it no problem just not enough milk it was gone in a flash.
    going to def look for an electric pump thanks for advice crafticharli

• dont be too surprised if you dont get too much milk on the first few goes, keep at it but after 4-6weeks youll probably be getting 5-6 oz no probs. Just remember as you and baby get established if you forget to express after doing it regular you will notice, ouch.
    I tried bottle with my son on and off from 4 weeks and he never took to it whatever was in it till 5mths so maybe persever early on with 1 a night but keep a certain time for it maybe?
  • I gave my lo his first bottle of ebm yesterday evening i managed to get 2.5 oz which he was happy with and that meant i had more milk for his night time feeds n he slept quite well last night so this morning had very sore boobs so i fed him off one side and expressed the other and got 4oz
    xx
  • going to keep at it and will give the bottle to my OH at night to feed Lily. Feebie that was good going hope I can report the same success

Helen