Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Thinking of stopping

Hi girls

I feel awful but I have really been thinking today about giving up on BB and starting her on FF. The thing is I have so much milk that my boobs are just hard and painful all the time. I have suffered from what the HV and MW says is Milk Fever.

I have tried to express some milk to stop it from being so painful but I end up feeling sick faint and like I have been run over by a truckl all achy like I have flu this is has happened three times now in three weeks.

I had to actually get my mum over today as I nearly fainted changing Rose this morning. I express some milk at around 3ish and fed it to her for the first time in a bottle and she took it right away and winded better than she ever had done and then went right to sleep? I had expressed about 3oz's and she took about 2, 2.5oz's. I don;t know what to do for the best?? Hubby is not so keen on me stopping but I can't look after her on my own when I feel like this.

Sorry I know I am always asling question on here and I have had some great feed back re mixed feeding which I might try but I am not sure how long I can go with my boobs feeling so painful. I express as I said, go in the shower under hot water tomake them leak a little which my MW said to do. I leak all the time all day and night having to keep changing tops.

K xxx

Replies

• Aw hun, it sounds to me like you could well have mastitis, the main symptoms are sore patches in your breasts and fluey type symptoms of feeling dizzy and a temperature. I would definitely give your gp a visit if you can and see what they think. Mastitis can usually be cleared up easily with antibiotics so there isn't any need for you to carry on being in pain. I'm supprised neither your mw or hv has suggested it.
    A lot of people (me included!) find that for the first few weeks they have far more milk than they need, and it is a pain, but it normally settles right down after about the first 6 weeks. When my lo was tiny I used to have to stick a muslin in my bra the side I wasn't feeding from as it would just pour out, but by about 6 weeks I didn't even need to wear breast pads anymore. You will probably find that Rose adjusts to your flow over time as well and learns to swallow quicker, it just takes a bit of practise for her as well.
    No one can decide whether you should stop except you, but I promise that if you do carry on then it will soon seem like the easiest thing in the world. Having said that, please don't feel bad about giving her formula if that's what you decide, as long as you are both happy, that's the most important thing.
    xx
  • Thank you sweetheart I feel awful for even thinking of giving up but I feel so ill. I might call the HV and then see what she thinks. I don;t have red patches on my boobs but my right boob which is the one that has the most milk is very hot.

Thank you for your feed back hun image

K xx
  • Only you can make the decision to stop and you should never feel guilty about it.

I also had way too much milk to begin with but it did settle down. Im sorry, i can't remember how long it took but i used to have to change breast pads frequently and would wake up in pools of milk. I also had dizzy spells and general feeling of being ill, for me, this was because i wasn't eating enough. I was producing so much milk and it was draining my resources so i really upped my calorie intake and drank LOTS of water-a full pint at every feed.

Now, at 5months, my breasts are soft and i don't need to wear brestpads. Your body has alot of adjusting to do, it will get better but keep talking to those around you and get as much support as you can.

A friend of mine stopped bfing at 3 weeks and it was only then that she realised just how much it drained her, how tired it made her so don't underestimate how much you need to look after yourself, never miss meals, snack often and even though you're doing all the feeding make sure OH is getting up in the night to do the nappy changes-he can bring lo to you in bed xx
  • I think you should skip the HV and head to the GP for a check up like bedhead said in case it is mastitis, as sure sounds like it could be.

Everyone else has said the same, look after yourself and take it easy - only you can decide. Love and Hugs not matter how you feed your baby!
  • Again, I am just echoing the other girls in that it sounds like mastitis and you should speak to your GP about it - I had very similar experience but perservered and it is so worth it now for the ease of feeding him. I also have to say that selfishly I really enjoy feeding him and knowing that he is truly mine at the moment, that no one else can do for him what I can! Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra should also help and try to keep feeding off both sides if you are continuing BF. I had loads of milk too and also continued to leak - I just had to wear breast pads all day and night; in fact, only recently have I stopped wearing breast pads and lo is 20weeks old,

It is your choice whether you continue or not but if there is an underlying reason such as mastitis, then try to see beyond this point as it will get better. However, if you or Rose, or both of you, just aren't getting on with it then there is nothing wrong with changing over to formula.

All in all, thinking back, I think it was about 4 or 5 weeks before I felt truly comfortable with feeding, as my nipples had healed and my milk flow had calmed down somewhat.

Good luck with whatever you decide, let us know how you get on.

• Thanks once again girls, well i have given Rose two FF at night times now, both at the same time her midnight feed, she has taken it well and then I carry on BFing.

I expressed more milk today and am storing that so I think I am going to try and just express and if I am to give her a bottle to have it as my breast milk. I am feeling better today as well so I think that has made me want to carry on.

I think I will at least keep going till she is 6 weeks and then rwview it then but today has been ok image

K xx
  • I'm glad to hear things are a bit better today hunni.

Everyone has their off days and as someone already said, breastfeeding really does take it out of you! So keep your energy levels up and get as much rest as you can and hopefully things will keep improving for you and Rose xxx