Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Wind and sickness after feeding

I am at my wits end with feeding at this moment in time.

My LO is 6 weeks old. Last week I ate a meal which did not agree with her and as a result she had a tummy upset for a few days. Since then however she is now sick after most feeds, maybe not straight away but an hour to 2 hours later and quite a bit. Also she has bad wind after feeding so bad that during the night when I fed her and winded her after feeding, she burped and it was that forceful she was sick nearly a whole feed by the look of it. because of the sickness she is feeding every 2 hours which is too often according to the books. I am so tempted to give her formula as I feel I have bad milk making her sick and windy and also to establish a routine. Can anyone advise me please.

Kelly & Abigail

Replies

• Although Im not a doc, it sounds to me like trapped wind and reflux which my son suffers so I well tell you about our experience which may help. Though speak to your hv and your gp to take it further. Be sure to tell them how bad it is and dont let them just fob you off... they may well try until she is 12 wks!

My son has suffered from bad trapped wind since day 1 and from reflux since 3 wks. He is now 12 wks.

If you read through my recent post I had similar concerns to you that my milk or the act of bf was causing his problems and the lovely ladies have helped and brought my thinking around.

For the wind, sometimes there is little you can do but sit it out but that in itself is tough as you want to try to do anything and everything to relieve their pain. Gripe water was definately helpful for us (nothing else did like colief or dentinox but it has worked for some). The gripe water allowed him to finally get some good burps up. Though sadly he still does suffer some bad attacks.
    Also, check your diet and eliminate all the usual windy foods (brocolli, cabbage, peppers, onions, leeks, kale). The Baby Whisperer says eating such foods cannot affect your breast milk as they dont go into your blood supply but when you have a particularly windy baby you may want to eliminate them anyway.

For my son's reflux he is on renitadine (prescribed by gp). Tried infant gaviscon but it didnt work for him, but it does for some. He started out with silent reflux in the earlier weeks but now he throws up. The renitadine manages it a lot better but it doesnt eliminate it altogether and some days are worse than others (like today when he projectile vomited all my precious breast milk over my shoulder and on to the sofa!)

One of the girls on here told me that winding your baby can not only bring up wind, but acid too. So thats not so great when your baby suffers from both trapped wind and reflux! So now rather than vigorously rubbing and patting him to get his wind up we are more gentle (but I remember how tough that wind really was early on to get up).

As for routine... it's tough to get a routine with feeding when your baby has reflux (if that's what your baby has). So don't stress yourself over this and try to meet what the books say. I was following the Baby Whisperer EASY method and then read it say that its difficult to establish this routine with a reflux baby. I find that I now have to feed him little and lots, otherwise he just cant handle it (more so during the day, early mornings and night times seem ok now). So we are about 2hrs between feeds too. It's been tough but Im certain that this will end at some point so Im persevering with support from others on here.

Hope that helps some from someone who is going through something similar. It is really tough and although I had a really bad week of it last week, this week Im approaching it more positively. Im now looking back and think how far we have come since the early days so there has been some improvement and I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Im sure you will get much more support from the other ladies on here too.
  • Great advice from Sim75! Definitely forget what they say about feed frequency in the books - every baby is different and their own feeding frequency will change a lot as well. Sometimes my LO goes four hours between feeds, sometimes not even 2 - he sicks up a lot as well and sometimes that means he needs the next feed a bit sooner. I know it's hard not to worry but try to relax and go with your baby's flow. We do the BW's EASY routine as well but I just start each cycle when Toby decides he's hungry rather than stressing about times etc. Your LO is still really young so don't worry about establishing a rigid routine just yet.

Good luck!
    C image