Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

dummie and breastfeeding

what are your views/experiences on these two,someone has told me it interfers with bf,but at the same time dont some babies use the boob as comfort and a dummie may be good idea

Replies

• my lo has had dummy since 3 days old and has (touch wood) had no probs bf xx
  • my daughter had dummies from about two and a half weeks (and also bottles from the start) and has never had any problems. I don't know any mothers who experienced issues using pacifiers when bf'ing, but I do know those who didn't introduce a dummy and then found it very hard because because their boobs ended up as the baby's only source of comfort.
    Of course some babies won't take a dummy anyway.

• we introduced one with libby at same time as bottles at 3 weeks, she gagged initially on the dummy but soon took to it and never has problems feeding - still going now at 5 half months. i find the ones she likes best is the tomee tippee closer to nature ones where you can see inside the mouth, she holds them so well and settles better with them and she can take it out and put it back in herself easily.

em x
  • We started her with a dummy at 3 or 4 weeks, and have never had any problems. We discovered very early on that there were times when the only thing that would comfort her was sucking on our little fingers! A dummy seemed like a much better option.
  • We gave Rhys a dummy at 3 weeks and it was a godsend as before he would use me all the time as a dummy or anything else like our fingers he could suck on as he used to be quite fretful and unhappy in the evenings. He weaned himself off it at 4 months when he started cutting a tooth,he started chewing it instead of sucking it! xx
  • I was told not to use one till you've been bf for 6 weeks. When we tried one he was about 8 or 9 weeks old but he won't take it he just pushes it out with his toungue. He won't take abottle anymore either! On a plus though luckily he a very content a happy baby. xx
  • grace had a dummy from 9 weeks old and it never interferred xx